Microsoft Unleashes Banhammer on Xbox 360 Modders

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

falconqc

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2002
@malveaux

Maybe you have legit reasons for wanting to mod your xbox, I know I have my own for wanting to put custom firmware on my routers, but what are you really trying to say?

Are you saying it's ok for people to play pirated games on Xbox Live?

Are you saying people don't really need to pay for games, good or bad, that company spent (or wasted) hundreds of thousands of dollars to develop, produce and market?

Yes, there are crap titles out there that don't deserve your 60$. I call those rentals. 7$ for 7 days at my local video store.

In most cases, hardware of software modding voids warranties. I know that flashing custom firmware on my linksys router and soldering a com port or sd card reader will void my warranty. Sure, you can do what you want with it. Just don't come crying when it doesn't work anymore.

Nowhere on the retail box for the 360 or in the EULA for Live do I see any reference to "Open Source" or "GPL". If you didn't agree with the fact that you couldn't do what you wanted with what you bought (and this comment works just as well for DRM'd music) then you shouldn't have bought it!

Keep it real guys. I hate DRM like any other guy, and considering the EA DRM debacles on their PC games, I can almost applaud pirating games. Almost, if not for the fact that piracy is what caused the whole DRM craze in the first place. As for pirating games on the 360, if there is any DRM, it's pretty transparent and a non issue in my opinion.

G

@falconqc:

A lot of people modify their Xbox 360s to be able to protect their investment. The console has been known to scratch discs beyond repair. People should have the right to make a backup copy of something that they paid for. MS is banning modified consoles, regardless of the reason. Granted, people who modify it KNOW that there is the possibility of getting banned. So, they know the risk ahead of time. Also, on a side note, MS is seriously behind in this battle. They have made numerous rounds of banning and none of the people I know with modified consoles have been banned. Also, their previous methods of detecting modded boxes resulted in a lot of bans on unmodified boxes. Apparently, DVD drives with more wear on the laser were giving them false positives. So, I think it's pretty obvious that MS is limited in what they can do this time, especially if they have to resort to detecting pre-release versions of games.

Almax9633

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2008
If you play pirated game you cannot bitch about being banned. You not only cost the industry millions but it's the legit users who pay for your crime (it is a criminal offence). If you cannot afford to pay then don't buy a console, if you cannot afford to pay for your own rent, rates, food or indeed cigarettes or booze then get a job and pay your way rather than sponging of others. I have no sympathy towards those that modify their consoles to play pirated games. There is plenty of options to try games, read reviews to work out if a game is worth buying. Just don't expect us to believe that those modified consoles are for testing games prior to paying for them legit. More like, most that play pirate games are out of work and cannot pay for legit games and expect others to pay for their crime via inflated software prices. Not only do they now expect others to pay for their rent, rates, food and the like but bitch when they get caught playing pirated games. If they got of their good for nothing backsides, got a job they would be able to pay the going rate for genuine games, pay their own rent, rates and taxes and not only contribute to society which brings its own rewards but maybe feel better about themselves. If you bought a modified connsole without knowing about it and never played pirated games then I do feel for you. Sadly though it's buyer beware, uless the guy selling it stipulated it was not a banned cosole you ain't going to get much in the way of redress from the seller via the courts. However it has nothing to do with Microsoft, there terms are simple you play with a modified console for playing copied games you are breaking the rules and the hammer will fall sooner than later if you use XBL. Not only this but all games in the future will require an update to play, this will force pirates off XBL but in the long run stop the pirates dead in their tracks. So for those that pirate or play pirated games on XBL suck it up because if you ain't already banned it's going to happen sooner than later. The gravy train inspector is checking all your tickets, you can either get of the train fast or buy a ticket at full price like the rest of us.

Almax9633

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2008
As for the scratched disk comment, come on you can buy a disc repair system from most electrical outlets for £20. I have in the past repaired a couple of disks that have been very badly scratched due to my dog knocking the console over whilst playing. Who you trying to convice us or yourself. Modified consoles are for playing pirated games not for those that wish to back up legit games they own. IF you get banned for playing pirated games or having a modified console at least have the Brazils to admit it!

G

Okay, how pirate (the one who plays burnt DVD-DL games) can disturb safety and security of Xbox LIVE? Can anyone really answer me on that question? For example, Russian users of xbox360 usually pay for Gold LIVE and MSPoints, but how to pay for game about 50-60$? I'd rather torrent the game and pay 1.5$ for blank DVD-DL. You say that poor game developers suck their thumbs due to piracy of their new releases. It is due to stupid game-region-price YOU are all being pirated, and for piece-a-$hited games too. Check for example graphics/car destruct model in GRID and NFS UC. So now will you agree that both games worth 50-60$? Modify your prices for different country earnings of workers (is marketing still alive?) and game-$hitlists. It is the only way you can damage piracy. If you see a game with "real" price (not too low, not too high) or have do deal with pirating issues, what will you choose? And what will you choose if you see the only option - the piracy? Have a nice thoughts!

Status
Not open for further replies.