Microsoft: Zune Services Are Safe, Don't Worry

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
"Redmond could be preparing to rebrand Zune to something that better communicates Microsoft’s mission to compete in the same market as the iPod touch"

"iZune" but no word on the OS X version of the Zune software yet.

Late last night, the Zune team took to its Facebook page to debunk any such rumors and assured users that the Zune brand wasn’t going anywhere.

I'd trust that about as much as the MSN Music DRM servers.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
Who cares if the Zune *brand name* dies, as long as the Zune hardware and software (whether on PC, WP7, Xbox, whatever) still work and can download from the Music and App store.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
They still make those things?

There are only two $170~200 Zune devices left, with a total of 13 ZUNE items on Newegg (Some items are cross compatible with other MP3/media playres).

There are 919 iPod and iPod related products on the same site.

beta tester

Distinguished
May 4, 2010
So the Zune device (player) looks like it is dead and buried.

That means that the clock starts ticking on how long Microsoft will support the services.

Safe? Maybe right now, but not forever. We had this same worry with Microsoft's Kin phones, which required a lot of online services to be useful. Microsoft's Kin phones were discontinued in April. Microsoft waited about 10 months, then closed down all its online services.

col_krismiss

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
I got the Zune HD when it came out and was so happy with it I just gave away my ipod touch. IMO Microsoft created exactly what a touch screen mp3 player should be. The only thing that kept it from selling was that it didnt have an Apple logo on it.

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
in this economy it doesn't mean anything unless it's comming straight from the horse's mouth, i believe it when ballmer says so.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
There are other mp3 players brands that out sell zune. But
today's phones are replacing mp3 players. Ms gave up on zune. Its product lineup shows.

lespy

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
all Microsoft needs to know is that if they market the zune HD and windows 7 devices correctly to appeal to more people then the business oriented consumer, then it would be far better off then any apple device.

the interface is smooth and responsive. the device's are sleek and innovative, they are powerful and customizable. this is everything i have ever wanted in my hand held multimedia player. yes, there isn't a world of apps and games yet, but i don't buy something for all the things that could be done on it, i buy it for all the things that it can do well. the zune HD does everything i need it to do well, the zune marketplace is ten times better then itune's interface and i will never go back to any other multimedia device besides a Microsoft ZUNE and either will anyone in my family.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
To me MS is no longer an innovative company and is another follow the leader company but with deep coffers due to its grip on the OS and Office App market allow it to remain relevant. If not for that MS would have gone the way of the Dodo bird.

Status
Not open for further replies.