Microsoft's Natal Needs 4 Meters/13 Feet of Space

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Considering I live in Ireland, I'll just play it outside in the rain.

Tweedledum

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
I might be able to play it if I move my TV to the back wall and stand in the conservatory. If my neighbours looked outside they would wonder what the hell I was doing though!

waxdart

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
[citation][nom]dribblesbarbax[/nom]Considering I live in Ireland, I'll just play it outside in the rain.[/citation]

Considering I live in England, I'll just play it outside in the drizzle.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]Anonymous[/nom]Considering I live in Ireland, I'll just play it outside in the rain.[/citation]

It's pissing rain as we speak/type. Sigh.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
13 feet is no big deal for something like this. Considering how physically involving something like this is, I'd rather not be that close to an expensive entertainment setup (not the Xbox) - flying WiiMotes anyone?

tstebbens

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
I have this much space but I've got a large and annoying light fixture in the middle with glass panels on it (rented house so can't get rid of it.) I've already broken one glass panel with a Wii remote during a drunken game of bowling and cracked my head on the pointy bit on the bottom too many times to recall (even if my memory still worked after all the brain damage the thing has induced!)

I'm pretty sure those dimensions will be the limit of the sensor range, not the required minimum anyway.

Is it technically correct to say "4m of space" considering a metre is a 1 dimensional measurement? "Space" implies area at least, if not a full 3D volume.

G

What the hell is rain? It hasn't rained here for 3 months. Send us poor Aussies some of your drizzle will ya?

Zenthar

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I think this might be a deal breaker for many people, including me. The way my living room is set, I have 12-13 feet, from wall to wall, not counting the couch or the fact that my TV is ~1 ft. from the wall, so I got only ~8 ft. left.

Also, considering the "optimal HDTV viewing distance", you would need at least a 55" TV ... I doubt they considered that. Couldn't they just shorten the distance using 2 cameras?

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]ozyjoebugner[/nom]What the hell is rain? It hasn't rained here for 3 months. Send us poor Aussies some of your drizzle will ya?[/citation]

On Sunday, I went for a run thinking the rain would stop at some stage. An hour later, I was still running, it was still raining and I couldn't hear my audiobook because the wind was too loud. You don't want any of our weather, trust me.

schwizer

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
I can't say for sure, but it sounds from the article like the 13 feet is the maximum distance of objects that are interpreted by the natal sensor. Although this conflicts with the "[atleast] 13 feet" bit of the article, it's possible techflash simply misinterpreted Microsoft's specs. From the nature of the technology i don't really a reason why a person 2m from the TV can't be interpreted just as well as someone 4m away.

but that's just me reverse engineering what appears to make sense.

banthracis

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
[citation][nom]rdwestgate[/nom]Think about dorm rooms.... I see this being a big killer for the young adult market.[/citation]

Actually, it's perfect for college. Just set it up in the common room and invite the floor. Those that don't have large houses or common rooms though, yea... Remember though, MS is a US company and here in the states land outside the big cities is dirt cheap.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]schwizer[/nom]I can't say for sure, but it sounds from the article like the 13 feet is the maximum distance of objects that are interpreted by the natal sensor.[/citation]

My thoughts exactly. The quoted blurb could be easily taken out of context. They could have been describing how to get the maximum benefit, not the minimum, as in: you need to clear at least 13 feet to get the maximum area for motion detection. I mean, really, how could a camera detect you 15 feet away, but not 10 or 5 feet away. Besides the concept demos we've seen of it working clearly show it working at very close range.

Status
Not open for further replies.