Braunsleeve

Honorable
Aug 20, 2013
1. What is your budget?
Under $1500.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
1920 x 1080

3. What screen resolution do you want?
1920 x 1080 + matte

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
No

5. How much battery life do you need?
The laptop I was considering had ~3 hrs battery life, looking for a bit more possibly

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Yes, looking for mid-high settings at around 60 fps. Will be playing graphically intensive games (e.g. Far Cry 3)

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Word processing, web browsing, video/movie watching

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
Enough to store my games and OS with a fair bit to spare. Considering an SSD + a hard drive, not sure

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
CyberpowerPC, but I can't get what I want with their laptops ):

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
As long as possible (I don't expect to be playing games well 3+ yrs in)

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
DVD Reader/Writer

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Hate Dell, I think they are way overpriced for the quality
Have had terrible experiences with Toshiba
Am okay with CyberPowerPC, have had positive experiences with them in the past

13. What country do you live in?
United States of 'Murica

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
Eyeing a GTX 765M for a video card

Thanks if you can help! :)

Solution

IInuyasha74

Honorable
Solution

Braunsleeve

Honorable
Aug 20, 2013
Thanks a ton guys! I'm really stuck between the two, but I think I like the Y510p a bit better. It seems like a better deal, offering 2 750's in SLI, and is available (currently) for 1k. Again, thanks for the help, these were both great picks!

IInuyasha74

Honorable
That one is better. The MSI laptop has worse graphics because it is only one card, the other has two cards. All are high end so it will give more performance.

You may want to consider this one from Newegg.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834312834

I don't know if Amazon has it. It is pretty much the same laptop, but it has an 12GB RAM instead of 8GB, and it has an 8GB SSD built into the motherboard. The SSD isn't really much help since its so small, only would hold a few programs but a little extra performance never hurts. I was going to advise you to get just an 8GB stick of ram for an extra $60 so that you will have 16GB, but if you get this second one it is kind of unneeded.

IInuyasha74

Honorable
Do you even read the links you post? First the CPUboss site compared one card with one card, not in SLI and it is the worst type of reference cause it does not use benchmarks just simple straight information. Different architectures give different results.

Second, the link you posted about GTX 750M SLI directly says that it is equal to a GTX 675, or to a single GTX 770. In black in white on your own source it says they are more powerful so stop saying the 765 is more powerful so I can stop wasting my time correction all the miss information you give to people.

Also yes 8GB is really enough, but more never hurts. Thats the reason I have 16GB in my desktop. Never know when you might need it.

Braunsleeve

Honorable
Aug 20, 2013
The second two links were correct, and with the boosted power consumption of SLI setups, I might go with the 765m. I think I will just look around a bit more at different laptops before deciding. Also, I don't think I will need more RAM. I haven't had any issues before, even with only 4gb, so 8gb is more than enough for me. I won't be doing video editing, just gaming.

IInuyasha74

Honorable

Check Lenovo's website they have a bunch of different versions of the laptop with different HDD's, SSD's, RAM, and graphics cards