Minimum Hard disk size and how much memory needed

Nitrom

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2004
How much Hard Disk space is needed to complete a job of video capturing VHS tapes in order to fill one entire DVD (not dual layer)?

Also how much memory needed ?

Thanks

pat

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2001
Some file I edit create large temporary files when encoding the file to DVD ready format that are way bigger than the original files, so I would safely say.. a lot! Capturing 2 hours in DVD quality can run up to 7 gigs.. You can capture with less quality, but you'll have lees room to play with quality. Then, once captured, I guess trhat you'll have to do a bit of editing. Then you'll play with the same file and create another one that will add to the original, because you wont delete the original captured file unless you are sure that you edit it the right way first. Then when creating the DVD, you'll will create an image first that will take a lot of room too.. so, do yourself a favor... if you have a lot of tape to do, get at least 120 gigs, if you can afford. because, you will often have to capture 2 or 3 movies, then edit and create the DVD. I play with a 100 gigs partition and I dont always have to clear old project too soon to have room ... And having lot of room improve recording and editing, because you wont have to defrag as often to get uncut space on your HDD... having the file cut in many segments because there is not enough linear space to have it in one continuous segment might cause dropped frame and jerky editing.

512 megs of ram will do, but 1 gigs is better..

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

RichPLS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2004
an two gigs is just right...

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

p05esto

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Is encoding/decoding memory intensive? I have a gig of DDR2 with 3.0ghz P4, raptor HD, 600wt OCZ power, etc etc etc and have just got into the ripping /encoding / decoding novely. Why does encoding take so damn long? Where is the work being done? In memory/processor? I'd think the processor mainly.

<A HREF="http://www.ericstoffers.com" target="_new">(My little web site)</A>

pat

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2001
Well, it is mostly CPU, and it is long, and mostly depend on the codec used to encode. Some are faster than other.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!