Mininova Must Purge Copyrighted Torrent Links

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

It seems obvious to me. With so many people doing it, then it should just be made legal.

Core2uu

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
[citation][nom]Fed Up[/nom]It seems obvious to me. With so many people doing it, then it should just be made legal.[/citation]

I honestly can't tell whether that's a joke or you're actually serious! xD

dxwarlock

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
why do the legal folks think stopping torrents will help pirating? torrents are the bottom feeders of piracy.

think of a newly released pirated game as a new car..
the equals are:
1.)Release group dropping to a TopSite = New car from manufacturer

2.)Racers Racing to put on FXP boards/Usenet = Buying that car from Lot

3.)Copiers Making mirrors of that FXP = Giving Car as a gift to Child for birthday

4.)Leechers spreading that to friends = selling car used

5.)Friends making a torrent of it to upload to site = Selling that car in your driveway after 15 years with the good selling point is "COLD A/C!!"

so taking down the torrents is like trying to wipe out the Ford car company by removing all the used cars on the side of the road for sale.
They are just stopping the second hand market..not the source.

megamanx00

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
And so the piracy sites fall. Well mininova is rather brazen so it was only a matter of time. What I'm worried about is governments monitoring internet traffic legal or not. Last thing we need is for big brother to have more ammo to "justify" monitoring your every move.

n3ard3ath

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
People tend to take things for granted. Saying taking a torrent site down means 10 more will pop-up is kind of stupid. It's clear copyright protection agencies are taking ground there, something new got to replace it, but that doesn't mean it will necessarily come down the road anytime soon. Also, the fact the torrent phenomenon been so hard to fight against strenghtened copyright laws, making it a whole lot harder to come out with an alternative to easy piracy than it was 10 years ago.

n3ard3ath

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
[citation][nom]megamanx00[/nom]And so the piracy sites fall. Well mininova is rather brazen so it was only a matter of time. What I'm worried about is governments monitoring internet traffic legal or not. Last thing we need is for big brother to have more ammo to "justify" monitoring your every move.[/citation]

Good point.

G

the method will evolve//////// people will share ////lets see the chase and run of these two forces....with the rise of social networking and ever increasing internet speed.............sharing is probably going to increase even more..

Clintonio

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
While I've used torrent sites more than I should, I can say another user had a point.

We can try to claim the torrent file isn't "Illegal" and doesn't contain any copyright material and just a hash, but that's no difference to saying that the word file on your computer doesn't contain a bank robbery, just the plans for one (which are set to be carried out today, say).

It's easy for anyone with slightly advanced computer knowledge to try to reduce what we're doing into such simplistic terms that it almost sounds like they're targeting innocents, but, it's arrogant.

Either way though, I think the entertainment and software industries are far too used to the ridiculous profits they got last century, and, I don't like it. Half of the stuff they sell isn't even worth it.

Relayer

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2008
Sites will just pop up in countries where the law will ignore them. The same way Switzerland and Monaco don't care where the money in your bank acct. came from. The industry needs to change their marketing. It's the only solution. Evolve or go extinct.

radnor

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
TPB tracker database is already in the wild. These MAFIAA guys are forgetting a simple and very real truth that Adobe and Microsoft learned long ago.

I hope nobody pays for their music afterwards. I know i won't.

G

@DXWarlock: And the original car was from where? 'The Ford car company' is not a release group. I can write 1s and 0s now to a file and it will never turn into a movie that will be released next year.

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
[citation][nom]Matt87_50[/nom]they contain the hash code to copyrighted material, and thus can be directly linked.[/citation]
[citation][nom]Matt87_50[/nom]The hash code being in the file is relevant, it proves beyond reasonable doubt that that file is meant to download the file which the hash matches. simply naming the torrent file "district 9" isn't really proof enough that the .torrent file's purpose is to download a pirated version of district 9. but the fact that the hash code matches a pirated copy of district 9, and that the .torrent file will only ever download a file that matches the hash, proves beyond reasonable doubt that the torrent file's ONLY purpose is to download a pirated version of district 9.[/citation]
Obviously these two do not know how a hash function works. Changing even 1 bit (i.e. zipping the file/rar/split rars/adding a readme/etc) would change the whole hash thus escaping your checks.

[citation][nom]Matt87_50[/nom]
I'm so sick of all you arrogant pricks who think you are some sort of uber l33t hacker ....
[/citation]
I'm not saying that I am an 'uber l33t hacker', I just seem to know more about computers than you do.

G

@apache_lives: Show us proof of .torrent files hosted on google servers.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Core2uu[/nom]@Blessedman: Do you really think that many pirates can't afford to pay? or is it that they just don't want to...And this tax thing is really kinda stupid... [/citation]
Do you really thing, that "pirates" would buy the (mostly utter crap) that they've downloaded if they couldn't download it? Orly?

if everybody paid for the games/movies they would buy?
If everybody who downloads crap would buy it, Tom Hanks would get, say 500 millions for his last role in Illuminati instead of 51 million.
That's a really big deal, for Tom Hanks...

gamerk316

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
Guys, linking to non-copyrighted material is fine, but seriously, non of you can argue to the illegial distribution of copyrighted material.

Yes, these corps should embrace file sharing, but thats a whole different debate. These sites make their living by linking to copyrighted material, and therefor set themselvs up for failure.

gorehound

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
Boycott the big corporate studios like i do.I never buy any new dvd's any longer only used ones.that will insure that hollywood gets no cash out of me as i buy it used.

I also never buy any music from the big corporate labels or labels/bands who sign with the RIAA.

Join me in bringing the big boys down.

Status
Not open for further replies.