Mininova Must Purge Copyrighted Torrent Links

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]doomtomb[/nom]If you lost the disc, if you lost the key, that's your fault and you have to go rebuy it. If you buy a TV but you "lose" your TV it doesn't give you the right to go to Best Buy and steal the TV because you "lost" it.[/citation]

You're right in a way, but since software, music and movies are a "virtual" product, they can be reproduced an infinite number of times. If you lose your car, no one is going to give you a new one for sure. However, if you can prove you actually paid for a virtual product which you subsenquently lost, you should be able to aquire a new virtual copy for free. That's the beauty of downloading games on services such as Steam. If you bought the product on a physical media, I also think you should be able to download a virtual copy of that product for free.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
[citation][nom]amnotanoobie[/nom]Obviously these two do not know how a hash function works. Changing even 1 bit (i.e. zipping the file/rar/split rars/adding a readme/etc) would change the whole hash thus escaping your checks.I'm not saying that I am an 'uber l33t hacker', I just seem to know more about computers than you do.[/citation]

dude, I'm a programmer, I work with hash functions every day for converting strings and file names for comparison, as well as CRC like checks.

let me try to explain this one last time.

(generally if something's SOLE purpose is to directly aid in breaking the law, then it is generally considered illegal (maybe to posses, or promote, or sell ect).

prosecutor: "this .torrent file can has only one purpose, as a link to download pirated material"

judge: "prove it"

prosecutor: "ok, i'll fire up utorrent and tell it to download... ok there we go, i got the file. oh look, its a pirate copy of district 9"

judge: "it sure is, but can you prove for sure that that torrent file was meant to only download that exact file? what if they changed the download, so it downloaded something legal? then the torrent file would have a legal use?"

prosecutor: "ok, lets open this torrent file up, as you can see it has this hash key, this is a UNIQUE identifier for the file intended to be downloaded, it means the torrent file will ONLY download the file that exactly matches that hash, even if the file being downloaded was changed, say to something legal, even if it was changed by just one bit, the torrent file would not download it.

Ok, we'll compare the hash to the file downloaded... oh look, it matches, this means that this torrent file's ONLY USE is downloading THIS EXACT FILE. only this file will match that hash. NO other file or data will ever match this hash (beyond reasonable doubt). as obtaining this FILE is illegal, and the torrent file's only purpose is to obtain that file, the only purpose of the .torrent file is to break the law"

the best analogy: a hash is like a file's DNA, the two are directly linked, no two files can share the same Hash(more or less) just like no two people can share the same DNA(more or less).

If what you are saying is that, if a torrent file was found to be illegal, someone could just upload a new torrent with the pirated material changed by just 1 bit, and the torrent file would look completely different? you are right, the copyright holder would then have to dispute that torrent file, and the next one, and the next one...

none the less, all I'm saying is that as far as I know, you can easily prove that a particular .torrent file's only purpose is to break the law, and thus hosting it on a site would be against the law.

what I'm saying is just because the .torrent file doesn't have any copyrighted material directly in it, DOESN'T MEAN ITS NOT ILLEGAL TO HOST!

n3ard3ath

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
[citation][nom]joesapp37[/nom]Damn the government for trying to control the internet!! I will kill myself when that day comes.[/citation]

Then kill youself, it's already the case. Not because you feel free in the zoo there's isn't zoo keepers watching you.

xrodney

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
[citation][nom]doomtomb[/nom]If you lost the disc, if you lost the key, that's your fault and you have to go rebuy it. If you buy a TV but you "lose" your TV it doesn't give you the right to go to Best Buy and steal the TV because you "lost" it.[/citation]
Sorry, but as for Windows or most software you buy license to use it not software itself or even physical disc, so if your disc crack they cant force you to buy new license or disc at 10-20 times whats its real cost.
Problem is that currently sw licenses dont let them accountable for damages so all they do is f**k end users. If for example car manufacturer try to do same they will fail big time.

xrodney

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
[citation][nom]Matt87_50[/nom]dude, I'm a programmer, I work with hash functions every day for converting strings and file names for comparison, as well as CRC like checks.let me try to explain this one last time.
[/citation]
Sorry dude but few bytes long crc/hash cannot fit information for lets say whole 4GB file, its good to tell you if file was not modified, but you can have 2(or even thousands) different files with different data inside and yet same CRC. And it doesnt matter if you use CRC or MD5 or whatever else, all it can do is with good probability to tell you if file is same or not as chance that random changes to file to produce same crc is extremly low.
If you are really programmer and using CRC on daily basis, i would suggest you to read (and think) before speak.

socrates047

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
this is an intense topic, and a really young one to boot. People are going to shape it over the coming years, but i seriously doubt this is over for file sharing (of any sort).

G

my view is strictly that of "the arts" should not be if you can afford it. the arts are a form of expression. how many times has shakespear been rehashed. nobody should own the arts. lets sue cover bands, and live performances at the play house. i do not want companies driven by self preservation in control of media. i do not believe in government controlled media. it is what stifles new art from getting to the public. that is the problem with the system. it is fat with greed. i do not see how torrent files are any different than trading music and movies between friends, which is a natural form of transmission. the only thing that really matters is what is best for the artists and the arts as a whole. do you beleive that the arts would die without the corporation, or that the quality would decrease. however if you beleive that the arts would improve without the corporation then you acknowledge that they are a monopoly killing the natural rise of the arts. will we see another mozart, or another nicleback.

Core2uu

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
[citation][nom]kartu[/nom]Do you really thing, that "pirates" would buy the (mostly utter crap) that they've downloaded if they couldn't download it? Orly?[/citation]

If it was utter crap, why the hell do you waste your time to download and watch it anyways? That gives studios the impression that the utter crap they are putting out is GOOD, because you guys still like to illegally download it. >_>

[citation]If everybody who downloads crap would buy it, Tom Hanks would get, say 500 millions for his last role in Illuminati instead of 51 million. That's a really big deal, for Tom Hanks...[/citation]
Oh wonderful. You've discovered what's called CAPITALISM. It's a free country here and people can make money the way they like. Admit it, pirates are just communists. Leave for China and don't come back.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
Lets see... I pirated 300. Which made me decide to go watch it in theater. Same as the case with lots of other movies. I've downloaded lots of Anime (a lot of which legally, since there was no American licensing yet), and a couple years later, I buy my favorite shows legally. I've pirated lots of games. If they're fun, I buy them so I can play online, get proper patches, and support projects I enjoy. I've pirated plenty of music, but for stuff I really enjoy I end up going to concerts, purchasing movie disks, T-Shirts, and plenty of other merchandise.

So, at least in my case... the industry benefits from me pirating things. If I ever stopped, it would be a negative thing for them. But, lets look past that and just sue everyone instead. Because suing your customers makes them want to buy your products /sarcasm

wifiwolf

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
[citation][nom]Core2uu[/nom]If it was utter crap, why the hell do you waste your time to download and watch it anyways? That gives studios the impression that the utter crap they are putting out is GOOD, because you guys still like to illegally download it.[/citation]

How many times did you find yourself watching a film on tv and thought "that was nice", but did you buy it? Why not? Not good enough to be bought. Sometimes I get some really nice ones and buy it but the only way we get to know it's that good is by seeing if the trailer wasn't showing the only watch-able parts of it. I'm sure you have a library of those films that you'd rather watch only the trailer - same effect and not losing your time watching the rest.

Core2uu

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
[citation][nom]wifiwolf[/nom]How many times did you find yourself watching a film on tv and thought "that was nice", but did you buy it? Why not? Not good enough to be bought. Sometimes I get some really nice ones and buy it but the only way we get to know it's that good is by seeing if the trailer wasn't showing the only watch-able parts of it. I'm sure you have a library of those films that you'd rather watch only the trailer - same effect and not losing your time watching the rest.[/citation]

Actually, I watch almost all of my movies in theaters. I keep my crap TV limited to watching cable on. And I actually don't like watching trailers or snippets of the film before I go to watch because I feel that ruins the surprise and novelty of the film if I'm going to watch it. So how do I figure out which movies I want to watch, you say? ... I actually base that a lot on what reviewers on rotten tomatoes say... then I base it on the synopsis...

Status
Not open for further replies.