MIPS to Make Ice Cream Sandwich Tablet Priced Below $100

Status
Not open for further replies.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
if it has all of that + 1GB RAM and a capacitive touch screen, then it will be good.

Tablets really need to come down in price to their proper price bracket.

Even the fastest tablet is slower than a common netbook

and yet, tablets worth using are hovering around 2-3 times the cost of a significantly faster and more functional netbook.

tablets need to enter the sub $200 range, with $200 and probably topping out at $250 for the very top of the line, and $100-150 for the the more mainstream tablets

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]Razor512[/nom]Even the fastest tablet is slower than a common netbook[/citation]

No way, my Atom netbook can't play 720p video's or even Angry Birds smoothly.
In saying that however, AMD's E350 APU's in those $350 netbooks are considerably faster.

RealJames

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
I really do wonder about build quality though.
If their website is any indication, it will be horrible.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Some atom based systems lack a decent videocard that can accelerate many of the common video formats.

Set a high end tablet video player to software only and it will lag far more than a netbook.

get a netbook with a better GPU and HD video runs perfectly.

If you want to compare CPU and memory performance of a tablet to a netbook, you will see that a netbook runs significantly faster.

Netbooks tend to fit intoo the $200-300 price range, while laptops tend to just go into the $300- unlimited price range

based on functionality, tablets offer less in just about all aspects, placing then in between a smartphone and netbook.

based on that, I strongly feel that tablets should be priced lower than netbooks and smartphones should be priced below tablets.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]Razor512[/nom]Some atom based systems lack a decent videocard that can accelerate many of the common video formats.Set a high end tablet video player to software only and it will lag far more than a netbook.get a netbook with a better GPU and HD video runs perfectly.If you want to compare CPU and memory performance of a tablet to a netbook, you will see that a netbook runs significantly faster. Netbooks tend to fit intoo the $200-300 price range, while laptops tend to just go into the $300- unlimited price rangebased on functionality, tablets offer less in just about all aspects, placing then in between a smartphone and netbook.based on that, I strongly feel that tablets should be priced lower than netbooks and smartphones should be priced below tablets.[/citation]

Points taken, but nobody is going to disable hardware acceleration on their tablet.
Not only that, but high-end tablets consume CONSIDERABLY less power then the most power-efficient netbooks.

Yes, notebooks definitely come cheaper and with more powerful hardware if you ignore Atom entirely and jump right into the E350 etc.. Or for around the price of a new tablet ($500) you could grab something with an i3 in it.

As said by many in these comments, tablets and netbooks are in completely different markets. The prices of a touch screen and all the other tablet components can be more costly then that of a netbook and is the reason why they cost so much in comparison.

It isn't an oranges to oranges (Yes, avoided using Apple.. Crap just used it >.

egidem

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
I recently just dove into the Android development world so that I could put my Java skills to good use and I've been looking for a good honeycomb table to practice/play around with. This would be a perfect opportunity, that is IF I can get my hands on one!

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
The big news here is that it's a MIPS processor running Android.
Is this serious competition for ARM?
250mW for the whole SoC under full load is pretty impressive.

[citation][nom]Razor512[/nom]Set a high end tablet video player to software only and it will lag far more than a netbook.get a netbook with a better GPU and HD video runs perfectly.[/citation]

Except no netbook can play video for 10hours straight without recharging the battery. Battery life on some tablets is just insane.

I don't think there is much overlap between netbook buyers and tablet buyers.
Netbooks are for people who just need a cheap laptop. Tablets are for people who already have a $1000+ laptop and just want a handheld device to surf the web/read documents/watch videos/etc.

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
There is no mention of built-in storage-- does that mean that everything beyond the OS will be on SD cards?

If so, what does that mean for your apps? When I swap cards because I want a movie that is on another SD card and all my apps are on the 'primary' one, do I have to re-install apps on to that card as well to have access without swapping back?

Can anyone comment on differences in performance between using built-in SSD versus SD cards? Does 'heavy' use of SD vs SSD drain the battery faster [or slower?]

G

go to slatedroid.com and search for ainol novo 7 advanced. the reviews are all good.

gallidorn

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom] As said by many in these comments, tablets and netbooks are in completely different markets. The prices of a touch screen and all the other tablet components can be more costly then that of a netbook and is the reason why they cost so much in comparison.It isn't an oranges to oranges (Yes, avoided using Apple.. Crap just used it >.[/citation]

Obviously by the announcement of this device, the prices of tablets are higher than they should be. If Ainovo can manufacture a tablet with all of these features for less than $100.00, then other manufacturers will have to take notice.

If manufacturers can't give competitive pricing, they will have to work harder to find less expensive ways to build tablets, or will have to get out of the tablet business.

This can be compared to the Nintendo Wii, because their low price and sales numbers forced XBOX 360 & PS3 to drop their prices to stay competitive.

Userremoved

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
[citation][nom]digitalzom-b[/nom]100 bucks give me a reason to buy a tablet... find me some quality toilet time.[/citation]
Then you could wipe your butt with one and buy another one and it would still be cheaper then a Nook Tablet. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.