mobile GPUs - professional vs. non-professional

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cfisherrktk

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
Ah... thanks and nice writeup. Stickers covered up the saddle... Your pictures really help, and also the tip about leeching too much heat with the heatsinks and warming the case unintentionally..

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
I just updated it tonight with a ver 3 heatsink mod. You should have a really good idea of where to place the heatsinks with the new pic. Read the commentsw to make sure you get the most heat transfer from what I have learned.

On the far left, the bottom of the 3 sinks, press it tight against where the green arrows are showing a gap in this picture.

Ver. 3 update.
7950_modsver3.jpg

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
I was looking up where the hits on my forum were coming from and found this ancient thread!

Wow, what a blast from the past!
Here is an updated Heatsink Mod shot for the original Executioner, that was like 2 months after this last post.
full.jpg

Interestingly enough, at the time I started doing the heatsink mods all the other notebook vendors said, "Oh... you don't need that."
I recently got an email from the ODM stating, "We are unable to utilize the x7800 and x7900 CPUs in our systems until we design a heatsink that will allow us to run the CPU at lower temperatures."
Since I had been designing and manufacturing my own heatsink mods for almost a year, I already have one and have several x7800 & x7900's in the field.
If you flip it over it has 3x's the surface area of stock not including the fins!
CPU_flip_over.jpg

And the coup de gras, the Killer Notebooks CPU & GPU heatsinks on the new Executioner SR:
both_heatsinks.jpg

The design and development is never done, you can find updated info on just about anything at the GuruOfGaming: http://www.guruofgaming.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=1