Mobile quad compatibility

deksman

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
Hey everyone...
I have a question pertaining to mobile Quad core compatibility.
I have an Acer 5930G that has the following:
Socket P (478)
CPU: P7350
Chipset: PM45 - rev 07
Southbridge: 82801IM (ICH9-M) - rev 03

I put the Q9100 into the laptop and it wouldn't POST with it (kept restarting itself).

I was wondering it the Q9000 on the other hand might have better luck though?
The Q9100 has double of the following compared to Q9000:
Processing Die Size = 214 mm2,
# of Processing Die Transistors = 820 million
Cache = 12Mb

Now... the X9100 would definitely work inside the laptop because it's been tried (along with 8GB RAM - so-dimm DDR2) and it's actually identical to the Q9000 on those 3 aspects (along with everything else - except the Voltage range, which appears to be higher for X9100 - probably because it's an extreme C2D).

I also found online laptops that were sold with exact chipset and southbridge which had Q9000 inside (with DDR2-so-dimm).

I was also notified by someone else, that because my motherboard has a dual-phase voltage regulator, Quads wouldn't work (those need a three-phase voltage regulator - which in turn wouldn't be enough for extreme quads).
Would the same apply for Q9000?
I'm asking because it was noted before that Q9100 was not 'consistent' with successful upgrades.
In some laptops, upgrading to entry level quad (Q9000) worked, whereas Q9100 and above would not.

So... how much does the amount of processing die size and # od Processing Die transistors play in terms of compatibility?
I also wouldn't bring 'overheating' into play. The laptop can handle extreme C2D cpu at 44W/45W just fine while keeping the temps at least 20 degrees below the 'dangerous' limit... one would surmise it should be able to do the same with a 45W cpu (provided it ends up working).

Suggestions/comments/opinions?

thank you

Die size/# transistors should have no part in compatibility issues in this case. The larger die and higher transistor count is wholly due to the larger cache.
Intel Ark specs:
C2Q Q9100 vs C2Q Q9000

I believe the cooling surmise to be correct.

As for why some laptops would take the upgrade and some would not? And if BIOS versions were the same?
My guess would be a small revision in the motherboard, or a even a different motherboard from the factory.

deksman

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
Yup... I was actually thinking that my PM45 Socket P is an early version that takes cpu's all the way to the C2D extreme, and yet not the C2Q (so, physically and on paper, the Quad cpu would 'fit', but the socket might have certain voltage pins inactive that would render it useless - pins that Intel made active in their second revision of the said Socket and chipset -which they did - although, what makes that thing odd is laptops that were sold with same socket/chipset/southbridge and SO-DIMM DDR2 but a Q9000 - it kinda contradicts the premise a bit because it would be logical that the revised socket would come with DDR3 and not DDR2 support - then again, laptop manufacturers sometimes don't really make logical choices, and they aren't the ones for advocating any upgrades in a laptop because they want you to spend cash on a new system of course).

It's a plausible/likely explanation.

Heh... it predominantly nags at me because I could really use a Q9000 for 3dsMax... and buying a new laptop/computer is not an option (if it was, I'd get a SB quad :D).

The X9100 is an ok compromise since it would still provide a relatively good boost (but not along the lines of a quad).