Mobile Workstation advice

Squareeyes

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
Hi

I would like to get some feedback for the laptop that I'm interested in getting for 3d work. Packages that will be used are cinema 4d, After Effects, Photoshop, Realflow etc.

I am not a professional - but a hobbyist and my budget is approx £1500

My research led me to this laptop. Any help, advice or recommendations is welcome.
---------------
LG1510 - based off a clevo p150sm.

Graphite LG1510 - 15.6" 1920x1080 Screen, NVIDIA Optimus, Premium Onkyo Speakers, Backlit Keyboard, HDMI Output, 2.0MP Webcam, 300Mb/s Wireless & Bluetooth

Intel Core i7 4800MQ, 2.7GHz, quad-core + HT, 6MB cache, 3.7GHz + TB

16GB Corsair Vengeance - 1600MHz, CAS 10-10-10-27, 1.5V

4GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M - DirectX 11 GPU

Integrated Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi 3

128GB Plextor, Read 540MB/s, Write 320MB/s, 80k IOPS

1TB Hitachi Travelstar 7K1000, 7200rpm, 32MB cache

Samsung 8x Tray loading DVDRW

Killer Wireless-N 1202 2x2, 300Mbps & Bluetooth

------------------ total £1504

May upgrade the RAM to 32GB too.

Thanks in advance.

That's a good unit, P150SM is one of my favorite we sell. It has a nice balance of power and weight versus cost. If your applications don't require a Quadro card (like for more specialized computer animated design) I think you would be very happy with that. You probably wouldn't even need that 32GB unless you're aware of some specific very-high-end need you'll be encountering for it.

Squareeyes

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014

Thank you very much for the feedback on that specific model. I think it has helped me make up my mind in going ahead with the purchase. My main worry was that the graphics card was not going to be good enough for my needs and that the monitor was too small/reflective. (although I will be connecting it to my desktop at some point)

I've looked at the Quadro cards and also the threads on them and peoples similar concerns. On paper its strange that the GTX cards seems more capable and that its only due to the drivers set up that make them run more efficiently for 3D work.

You can opt for the matte screen if need be. The glossy tend to look a little bit better, but those are immensely reflective.

As for the Quadro cards, it's also the firmware. NVidia optimizes it for particular, professional applications. There are some minor physical tweaks as well, but the chips themselves are pretty comparable as far as I know.

I'm glad to have offered some insight! Hopefully you enjoy whichever purchase you decide on. :)