Mobo or Cpu? Gateway MX6442.

Jackie Mertz

Estimable
Jun 18, 2014
Just got a laptop from my Dad and it is a fixer upper :sarcastic:

When I press the power button, a blue light turns on for a second, the front blue power indicator LED also turns on for a second, then they both turn off. I noticed that the hard drive makes a very slight sound, and I don't think it is the Click of Death because I heard that on YouTube and it isn't as loud or violent-sounding, and then it makes like two beepy sounds (and I don't think they have speakers...) which I have not found on YouTube.

The pink light comes on when I have the battery in, and not when I am running it on the adapter only. The wall plug is good I did a test with a clock radio. The battery does heat up a bit as does the adapter, but it doesn't get real hot.

The fan does not come on at all. I would think the fan would come on before the HD, but whatever.

What I have done:

ATX reset
took the case off
Cmos out and back in
popped the RAM out and in
slid the hard drive out and back in
took the screen off for fun
keyboard off

Nothing happens at all aside from that and I am mainly thinking it is either the Mobo or the Cpu, but I don't have the expertise to distinguish. But also it could be the Power Supply, right? Actually I am really lost. Wouldn't the computer start up without a HD?
PLEASE HELP!? :pfff:

Specs from here. I can only guess as I got it from my Dad. As far as I know they are correct from visual inspection:

http://www.computer-specifications.com/specifications/Gateway-MX6442-Specs.html

"The specs for MX6442 comes in these configurations with a retail price tag. The configuration Gateway provides comes with a 1.8GHz AMD Turion 64 ML-34 n/a Ultra ATA/133 USB/PCMCIA 250 GB Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005, ATI Mobility RADEON X300, 15.4 64 MB DDR (shared) 224 MB."

it has a Hitachi HD.