Modifying/Deleting files on a laptop from a desktop via usb cable

Zack Moon

Estimable
Apr 20, 2015
First off, this is my first post on Tom's hardware and I'd just like to thank all the regular posters, so many threads on this site have solved my problems. Alas, I have encountered a problem so severe I cannot find a solution anywhere.

I need to delete McAfee from my laptop because it's using 100% disk usage, nonstop. People offer solutions but they require running and opening programs which can't happen when disk usage is 100%.

(Sidenote: I've tried to letting programs run for 4 hours and they don't finish starting)

So now brings my question on how to go about my solution. I recently have obtained a USB to USB cable. I'm wondering if I can connect my desktop to my, preferably off, laptop. From there would I be able to access the laptop's hdd? Could I use the control panel to uninstall McAfee or manually remove it?

(Sidenote: I know I can open the laptop and remove the hdd, and plug it into the desktop's motherboard, but I'm afraid if I open the laptop I'll void the warranty)

Solution
No-you cannot connect a drive like this. Certain macs support this using firewire or thunderbolt, but apple are the only ones I know of that build in support for this.
Opening your laptop and removing your hard drive will not invalidate your warranty, so long as you don't remove any warranty stickers. In the US, it's not legal for companies to invalidate warranties for such a basic modification that, if done correctly, cannot cause damage.

I think there is a good chance that McAfee is taking over your system because your drive is either corrupt or failing. You should backup everything important on it before you do anything else.

Calculagator

Estimable
Nov 18, 2014
No-you cannot connect a drive like this. Certain macs support this using firewire or thunderbolt, but apple are the only ones I know of that build in support for this.
Opening your laptop and removing your hard drive will not invalidate your warranty, so long as you don't remove any warranty stickers. In the US, it's not legal for companies to invalidate warranties for such a basic modification that, if done correctly, cannot cause damage.

I think there is a good chance that McAfee is taking over your system because your drive is either corrupt or failing. You should backup everything important on it before you do anything else.

Solution

Zack Moon

Estimable
Apr 20, 2015
Okay, so I think I'll open my laptop and try that then. When I have it connected, can I manually uninstall McAfee safely without it spreading to my other hdds and ssds?

Zack Moon

Estimable
Apr 20, 2015
Shouldn't be failing the damn thing is less than a year old. I'll pull some files off the hdd if I can to back them up. The SATA cable on a laptop hdd is the same as a desktop hdd drive right? I won't have to go buy a special adapter or cable?

Zack Moon

Estimable
Apr 20, 2015
As for interference, am I going to have any problems with administrator privileges on that hdd? I have administrator privileges on both pcs but I'm wondering if it won't let me delete program files on the laptop hdd