More Affordable Tabletop PCs, Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

BallistaMan

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
Settlers is indeed an amazing game, though the digital version loses a little of the feel that a physical one has. Wasn't surface advertised as being able to recognize certain physical objects on the table? What if they combined the two somehow (i.e. leave the cards in peoples hands for instance)?

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
[citation][nom]BallistaMan[/nom]What if they combined the two somehow (i.e. leave the cards in peoples hands for instance)?[/citation]
Quite possible if the cards integrated RFID or similar tech and if the table top PC has a RFID reader/scanner.

smokinu

Distinguished
May 30, 2008
Ok Toms. How about one of your techies take up the task of writing up an DYI on how to make your own. Hardware should not be a problem however the programming I would assume is the real issue. Is there an opensource type of software where this can be achieved? Do some research for us kinda like Chris was doing with HTPC articles. Shoot this could even go hand in hand with HTPC environment.

I have thought about having one of this be the media control hub of the house with smaller hand held or stationary devices in the kitchen (recipies/how to's), media control to other rooms, etc... Automation at its finest with a control hub such as this one.

G

http://nuigroup.com/ is all about building these types of multi-touch machines.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Heard of this game, seen a few friends play it. Didn't understand it though.

A surface-like digital board game would get me back playing it!

p00dl3_h3r0

Distinguished
May 13, 2005
Microsoft better beware: Apple may beat them to the punch. I can see it now, being unveiled by S. Jobs exclaiming, "We understand the average consumer. That's why when we rolled out iphone and ipad, we were really just preparing you for what we had been developing since the beginning of touch screen devices: the iTable. The ipad and iphone were just miniaturized versions of OUR original idea for a touch sensitive table, which now comes included with a 24/7 video system installed and monitored by Apple HQ (for you security of course), and my friendly face to wake you up everyday and make sure your not hiding anything from the Empire."

lotri

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Well, it might be kinda cool for consulting firms who want to use something to catch the eye of potential clients. They really need to find a way to drop the price though.. as most people aren't willing to spend so much for tech.

TemjinGold

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
[citation][nom]p00dl3_h3r0[/nom]Microsoft better beware: Apple may beat them to the punch. I can see it now, being unveiled by S. Jobs exclaiming, "We understand the average consumer. That's why when we rolled out iphone and ipad, we were really just preparing you for what we had been developing since the beginning of touch screen devices: the iTable. The ipad and iphone were just miniaturized versions of OUR original idea for a touch sensitive table, which now comes included with a 24/7 video system installed and monitored by Apple HQ (for you security of course), and my friendly face to wake you up everyday and make sure your not hiding anything from the Empire."[/citation]

The problem is Apple's would cost $50,000 and use 2003 tech.

ordcestus

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
[citation][nom]smokinu[/nom]Ok Toms. How about one of your techies take up the task of writing up an DYI on how to make your own. Hardware should not be a problem however the programming I would assume is the real issue. Is there an opensource type of software where this can be achieved? Do some research for us kinda like Chris was doing with HTPC articles. Shoot this could even go hand in hand with HTPC environment.I have thought about having one of this be the media control hub of the house with smaller hand held or stationary devices in the kitchen (recipies/how to's), media control to other rooms, etc... Automation at its finest with a control hub such as this one.[/citation]
Building it would be difficult but possible but you'd have to have some serious programming work to get something working as well. Mpx is an opensource extra built onto the X window system for unix-like systems that drives a multi-user multi-touch screen. Thats the closest to Surface i came up with but it doesn't integrate the infared cams or taggable objects. Plus redesigning games or whatever software needed would be a pain. Don't expect that guide anytime soon

mowston

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2007
I actually saw where some students used this to make a traditional DnD game. It had the RFID technology so you could put items on the surface I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.