More memory

G

i have a bell pvr and was woundering if and how we can put more memory in it

MU_Engineer

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
i have a bell pvr and was woundering if and how we can put more memory in it

A PVR that you get from a satellite company like Bell is not designed to be opened up and modified. At the least, you'll end up having to buy a new PVR box on your own dollar if you mess with it, and at worst, you violate one of the terms of service you agreed to with respect to not modifying their equipment. IIRC Bell is a Canadian satellite provider and I don't know how many satellite providers there are in Canada. There are only two in the U.S. (Dish Network and DirecTV), so if Bell is the only provider in your area, you'd do best to not muck with their gear and have them ditch you as a customer.

As for the actual PVR, I'd bet that the memory (RAM) is soldered onto the motherboard in that PVR and there are no slots to add more modules. Probably the only thing in the box that is physically upgradeable is the hard drive, which is still a sketchy upgrade as some units will only work with a hard drive of a certain capacity or otherwise will not work with a different hard drive. If you wanted to have a more powerful PVR, your only choice is to slave a non-Bell PVR like a TiVo or an HTPC to the Bell unit, using the Bell unit as a tuner and putting the video-out from the Bell unit into the video-in of the TiVo or HTPC and using that as your PVR. Theoretically, you can put a $60 HDTV tuner card into a computer and receive DVB satellite signals straight from the dish, but Bell and any other small-dish provider encrypts their signals and makes you use their box to decrypt and view the signals.