More Nintendo 3DS Specs from Nintendo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Looks great! I've ummed and ahhed about buying a DS for years. I think I'll actually take the plunge with this one though provided it isn't too expensive.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
I'm interested in it but I won't be purchasing it right away I think it would be best to give it some time and see what games come out for it and just how well the 3D works with the games.

I am happy to see that it is back compatible with previous DS games this was one of my concerns. Right now I am happy with my DS lite but I will keep a eye on the 3DS. I would also recommend a DS to anyone it really is a fun little handheld even my three year old son plays it.

descendency

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
Is that screen really 400x240? Yuck. I was hoping for something closer to what the iPhone 4 will be using (960x640) or even what every other modern smartphone seems to be using (800x480).

3D or not, this thing should have a near HD 2D display.

aleh1811

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2010
It'd be easier if you also added the metric equivalents of the size and weight so those of us who are not from the US could read them without having to take the trouble of converting them.

Hatecrime69

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008
what's the current max size for ds games?

I hope they figure out some kind of trick for current ds games so you don't need to have a wep access point active anymore, that would be really nice.

I was hoping for higher res external cameras, but ah well, no biggie.

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
[citation][nom]descendency[/nom]Is that screen really 400x240? Yuck. I was hoping for something closer to what the iPhone 4 will be using (960x640) or even what every other modern smartphone seems to be using (800x480).3D or not, this thing should have a near HD 2D display.[/citation]

In your dreams! This is Nintendo we're talking about here. Nintendo likes slapping old tech on new products and calling it new tech, (which is kind of like our friend, Steve Jobs).

I wouldn't have expected anything more than WQVGA from them. Sony, on the other hand... you'd better come out with a FWVGA PSP soon!

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
Technically the resolution is 800x240, but they had to split the effective resolution in half (one half for each eye).

I would guess they could have done 800x480 but then when you split it in half for 3D 400x480 seems a rather odd aspect ratio so they went to 400x240 to achieve a standard ratio.

And from what I'm reading of E3 reviews, most of the skeptics are becoming believers which is starting to make me want to believe. Supposedly the 3D is suppose to be much better compared to what you see in movies or on new TVs due to the proximity you hold a Gameboy to your eyes. Also, the GPU and CPU are supposedly a large step forward compared to the DS.

I hadn't planned on getting one whenever they come out but now I'm really starting to think I might want to.

thillntn

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
Neat,I'm glad one of the 3 big guys at the conference had a decent system upgrade. Jury is still out on the 3ds but looks promising.higher resolution would have been nice, but like someone else said it is nintendo!

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
i really hope they make the bottom screen wide and make it real sexy before release... it looks like theyre releasing the first ds all over

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]excalibur1814[/nom]Well...I finally purchased a DS XL the other month after owning a DSi for two weeks. It's fantastic and I should have purchased one years ago.Indiana Jones 1 and 2 are fantastic and its been worth every penny. I'd have to play the 3ds first as the XL is, as above, a really nice item[/citation]
The Zeldas and the dragon warrior/ff games are pretty fun too if you're into rpgs. The Castlevania games are great too, very similar to SOTN.

prrrowr

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
Based on recent screenshot images, is it safe to say the graphical quality of the 3DS is somewhere between the Wii and the PS2? And better than PSP? I'm amazed it could render Snake Eater so flawlessly.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
[citation][nom]prrrowr[/nom]Based on recent screenshot images, is it safe to say the graphical quality of the 3DS is somewhere between the Wii and the PS2? And better than PSP? I'm amazed it could render Snake Eater so flawlessly.[/citation]

That is a great question and if it is indeed around that quality and better than the PSP hardware wise then Sony is going to have to make something really special out of the PSP2 and release it in a timely manner.

Status
Not open for further replies.