Moto 360 Hands-on: A Smartwatch You'll Want to Wear

Status
Not open for further replies.

paradigital

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
Quick question, how can a circular display be measured in an X:Y co-ordinate fashion?

"The 320 x 290-pixel LCD display"

Confused muchly.

nitrium

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
Am I only the one who doesn't quite understand what 320x290 resolution means when you're talking about a circle? I'm assuming that it's 320 pixels in diameter, or ~80 thousand pixels, as opposed to the ~100k pixels you'd get from a square device.

crisan_tiberiu

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
the question is: do i want to charge my watch lets say in the worst case daily? or in the best scenario every 2-3 days? no ty :(. Long live mechanical watches that make a difference or watches with a 10year warranty on the battery ^^ :))))0

vampyiere6

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013
I dont really like this watch, i have nothing against it but i would not wear it. i myself have the samsung galaxy gear and i like it would like alot of more features ofcourse but its really nice for notifications etc.

When i first got it (i got it with my note3 for free when i buyd it) i was thinking i use it maybe for a week then sell it, but now i cant go anywhere without it i love to be able to fast read my texts, mails etc and see if its something important that i need to answer fast too or not.

I think most people who disslike/hate the smart watches are people who have not used them im not saying all but most, the most people comment about is charging it , i myself find no problem in it and the gear lasts about 2-3 days i myself think aslong as it lasts 1 full day its ok because you take it off anyways when you go sleep and you charge your smartphone daily too most of them. and i will buy the samsung gear S once released and resonable price 100-200€

daglesj

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
the question is: do i want to charge my watch lets say in the worst case daily? or in the best scenario every 2-3 days? no ty :(. Long live mechanical watches that make a difference or watches with a 10year warranty on the battery ^^ :))))0

I'm glad I'm not the only one not taking crazy pills. These devices no matter how 'featured' they are are a joke.A watch like this needs to go a minimum of a month between charges to be considered even slightly sensible. I don't take my current watch off every night and I don't have to carry about charging docks if I go away for a weekend. I used to have phones that went two weeks on a charge and I'd really like to get back to those days. This is not progress.

I can bet most of these smartwatches will be tossed in a drawer or on Ebay within a couple of weeks.

The IT press are only being 'kind' to these ones because they know they will have to suck up big time for the Apple watch next year.

swordrage

Honorable
Jul 4, 2012
The whole point of Android wear was being a lighter OS and therefore offering better battery life while cutting some functionality. But 1 day battery life is disappointing.

gaborbarla

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
Wouldn't it be feasible for a smartwatch to use low battery using e-paper as standard and when you touch it a transparent OLED display would overlay the e-paper and make things colour. It just makes sense to use e-paper on a smartwatch. It would use very little battery and would always be visible. I really start to like the look of these watches but I have to wait for a generation of watches when I can charge it less frequently than every day. In a years time it wont even be working for a day without a charge. E-paper is the winner I recon with transparent OLED display overlay for colour when needed.

mprospero

Senior Editor
Oct 4, 2013
I think they measure the resolution from the widest points. It's actually not a true circular display - there's a small section at the bottom that's flattened out, so the number of vertical pixels (290) is fewer than the number of horizontal pixels (320).

anthony8989

Honorable
Feb 2, 2013
The watch must not be perfectly round. It would be hard to see a difference of 30 pixels xy on a display that small. The only alternative would be Diameter by Circumference , but even if the the diameter was 290, the C would be at least 900. It must be slightly oblong for 320x290 to work.

SkyBill40

Honorable
Oct 11, 2013
Only a day's worth of charge? That just doesn't seem to justify the cost no matter if it happens to look more hip/normal when compared to the other smartwatch offerings. I do enjoy Motorola's stuff, but it looks like this is a device I'll be avoiding. I don't want to have to cart a charging base around if I happen to be gone for more than a day. That's just impractical.

CyberdineX

Estimable
Sep 24, 2014
I can hardly wait for the Moto360 to come north of the border so I can get one.

I find it really funny that some people are dissing the watch because it doesn't have a month of battery life.

I think there are different perspectives on a "Watch" / "Smart Watch"

There are the old school like me. I have had a watch on my wrist for the past 35 year, up till now it just told the time and date. I have never charged my current watch, it charges (winds) by with the motion of my arm.
There is the new gen that finds a watch distasteful; if they need the time they look at their SmartPhone.

There is also a different set of SmartPhone users; some still use the phone to make calls, while some use it as their primary computer and communication hub.

The idea of the current crop of Smart Watches really is for the power user, not for the phone call person.
Really the watch is a bad computer and interface for productivity; but it is a better interface for discreet notifications (a watch vibration is both more noticeable and more discreet then a phone vibration or ring).
If you are thinking about the watch in the old school view of a device that gives you the time at a glance, then the Smart Watch gives you nothing but a hassle.
But as an extension of your communication hub, this is where it shines, take that further with Google Now giving you context aware notifications, it is incredible.
Yes, I would like more time between charges, but really I charge my phone daily, and bring a charger with me when I travel, so for me this is no different.
Note on e-paper, it sounds great but e-paper is slow to update. Sure it works great for a book when you update a page at a time, but it will not work well with moving graphics on the screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.