Motorola Allowing Users to 'Test Drive' Android 4.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]craig ferguson[/nom]like Marjorie said I am inspired that anybody able to make $7114 in 1 month on the computer. did you read this web lin....(deleted)[/citation]
Tell Marjorie she's a whore. And you're a spammer, or a pimp.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
Did not realize you had to give back the old phone, that makes the $100 thing completely non interesting to me all of a sudden

HDmac

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008
Droid X owner here.... never buying Android again, that's for sure.... stopped updating after 1 year. Glad my contract ends in a month. Going to consider Apple or Microsoft for a new phone I guess, despite my love for Google.

acerace

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
[citation][nom]HDmac[/nom]Droid X owner here.... never buying Android again, that's for sure.... stopped updating after 1 year. Glad my contract ends in a month. Going to consider Apple or Microsoft for a new phone I guess, despite my love for Google.[/citation]

Yeah yeah, what ever. Rant all you want, kid.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]HDmac[/nom]Droid X owner here.... never buying Android again, that's for sure.... stopped updating after 1 year. Glad my contract ends in a month. Going to consider Apple or Microsoft for a new phone I guess, despite my love for Google.[/citation]

Android never stops updating, go troll elsewhere.

Can't blame Android for you not being willing to root and install custom ROMs.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012

You misunderstand, it's not an Android problem it's a Verizon problem. Verizon is horrible at keeping devices updated, remember Verizon has delayed updates for all of it's phones including the Iphone.

If you want good service don't go with Verizon.

dotaloc

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
[citation][nom]dj1001[/nom]meanwhile my poor droid x2 is stuck on gingerbread[/citation]
I'm running CM10/JB/Android 4.1. Had to follow instruction on the Droid X forums to do it...but it runs reasonably well and it looks like other developers are still working on it. Obviously, it'd be convenient to have it OTA / officially.

To be fair, 512 MB is pretty low for memory.

maddad

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
1. If you don't like Android you have a right to say so, especially if you are using it, without being called a troll.
2. The problem isn't the carrier, it is the phone manufacturer. No update for my Motorola Atrix 4g, even though Motorola at first said it would be updated. They want/need to sell new phones to stay in business.
3. Don't own any "fruit company" products, no plans to buy any thing from them either, but they are no better/worse than Google. Google is becoming what Microsoft used to be and I expect in the coming year or two the government will be looking at them hard for antitrust charges. Android is an operating system, if you love it great, if you don't that's fine also. And you should be able to post your opinion without being called a troll. All the Apple haters have no problem posting what they think whenever and Apple article is posted.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]Kami3k[/nom]Android never stops updating, go troll elsewhere.Can't blame Android for you not being willing to root and install custom ROMs.[/citation]
I am so sick of hearing this. This is as bad as the iSheep. Not many people want to, nor can afford to, brick their phones and void their warranties just to install a customer ROM. Rooting and custom ROM's should only be done by enthusiasts who know the risks and won't complain when something messes up and can afford to pay $500-$600 for an off contract phone replacement.

For as bad as the iPhone is, there is one thing Apple does right and Google and Microsoft need to take a lesson from and that is keeping control of the OS and the distribution of it. A carrier doesn't want to allow Apple to control iOS and it's distribution? They don't carry the iPhone. Well, Google has enough clout now, especially with them owning Motorola that they can do this. And to insist to getting rid of carrier bloat ware or at least making it uninstallable.

[citation][nom]ddpruitt[/nom]You misunderstand, it's not an Android problem it's a Verizon problem. Verizon is horrible at keeping devices updated, remember Verizon has delayed updates for all of it's phones including the Iphone. If you want good service don't go with Verizon.[/citation]
It's actually both. Took forever to get ICS for the Bionic, got it 3 weeks ago when it should have been delivered months ago. Motorola made it a flagship phone and then moved on to the Razr's and the Droid 4 and such. While we have been promised JB, who knows if and when we will ever get it. And then when Motorola decides to work on it, they will have to submit several builds to Verizon for approval. And I have a friend with Sprint and they don't seem much different.

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
This is one of the pitfalls of Android. The suggestion that someone provided to root your phone is quite ridiculous from an adult standpoint. If you need to know why, ask, and weI'll explain. I like Android (at least on Samsung devices) but OEM and carriers are to slow to update their devices...if they'll update at all. This is much less of an issue with Apple devices. The more geeky of us that turn towards Android of course want the updates so its a problem we have to typically live with.

The SGSIII and most definitely the Galaxy Note II perform so well that you don't think about getting an update as soon as you use it.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]wildkitten[/nom]I am so sick of hearing this. This is as bad as the iSheep. Not many people want to, nor can afford to, brick their phones and void their warranties just to install a customer ROM. Rooting and custom ROM's should only be done by enthusiasts who know the risks and won't complain when something messes up and can afford to pay $500-$600 for an off contract phone replacement.For as bad as the iPhone is, there is one thing Apple does right and Google and Microsoft need to take a lesson from and that is keeping control of the OS and the distribution of it. A carrier doesn't want to allow Apple to control iOS and it's distribution? They don't carry the iPhone. Well, Google has enough clout now, especially with them owning Motorola that they can do this. And to insist to getting rid of carrier bloat ware or at least making it uninstallable.It's actually both. Took forever to get ICS for the Bionic, got it 3 weeks ago when it should have been delivered months ago. Motorola made it a flagship phone and then moved on to the Razr's and the Droid 4 and such. While we have been promised JB, who knows if and when we will ever get it. And then when Motorola decides to work on it, they will have to submit several builds to Verizon for approval. And I have a friend with Sprint and they don't seem much different.[/citation]

All I read from this post is how clueless you are.

It is impossible to brick a phone by rooting and installing a custom ROM if you actually do what you are told to do by experts.

It's the idiots who ignore them that get their phone's bricked.

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
[citation][nom]Kami3k[/nom]All I read from this post is how clueless you are.It is impossible to brick a phone by rooting and installing a custom ROM if you actually do what you are told to do by experts.It's the idiots who ignore them that get their phone's bricked.[/citation]
While you may indeed be right there's still some risk involved. I understand the "If you can readn and follow directions, you should be fine." bit ...its that should be that may concern some. Rooting phones is fine the geekish or adventurous but some just want to buy their device and know they got the best device, ease of use, best support for their money. ...so the rooting bit is for the minority, not a regular prescription for the masses.

Status
Not open for further replies.