Motorola Responds to DROID X Bootloader Lock

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

awood28211

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2007
Most won't even be affected by this as they will never consider/know about/want to flash their phone this way. Sorry to say but those they are offending are in the extreme minority of users. A point of a percent of overall purchasers.

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
Eh I went and looked at the droid x this weekend in person and it seemed kinda cheap if you ask me.

The four buttons on the front did not look they would withstand much use before giving out.

Overall unimpressed.

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
"Motorola confirmed the discovery in a recent statement. "The technology is not loaded with the purpose of preventing a consumer device from functioning, but rather ensuring for the user that the device only runs on updated and tested versions of software," Motorola said."

""Motorola has been a long time advocate of open platforms and provides a number of resources to developers to foster the ecosystem including tools and access to devices via MOTODEV at http://developer.motorola.com," the company added."

So in other words: We are doing this for your safety. We are doing this to benefit you. Yeah, thanks but I'm not a ten year old child and can think and act for myself. So much for open source, apparently Motorola has no concept of what that means, and thinks its potential customers are stupid enough to buy into what Motorola's definition of open source is.

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
Uh... no.

All they did was load the boot loader up. To hack into it would mean that we would have a way to install our own bootloader instead of that one, and could thus have full control of the phone.

i7Rocks

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
seems to me that most people are overreacting to this, 99.8% of the world could care less, including myself. I have been looking into doing this with my droid and honestly haven't found 1 thing I would gain to make it worth my time. For those of you who want custom ROMS just buy a phone that allows it, simple as that.

joe gamer

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
"The company added that checking for a valid software configuration is a common practice within the industry to protect the user against potential malicious software threats."

Yeah because Mal ware is always trying to install malicious ROM's without you noticing >.>

Bet a hundred bucks this came from Verizon to protect their right to rip you off for tethering.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
[citation][nom]i7Rocks[/nom]seems to me that most people are overreacting to this, 99.8% of the world could care less, including myself. I have been looking into doing this with my droid and honestly haven't found 1 thing I would gain to make it worth my time. For those of you who want custom ROMS just buy a phone that allows it, simple as that.[/citation]

How's about increased battery life and performance from thee phone by dynamically underclocking the phone when its running idle? Yea, kinda need root to do that.

G

quite frankly, I don't get it. Can someone please explain what this means? How will this affect my experience with the Droid X??

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS