Motorola's Droid 4 Will Cost $199.99 Subsidized?

Status
Not open for further replies.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]malicemizer[/nom]Lol the article said the new droid will only be a half inch thick? That's a big ass phone.[/citation]
For a hardware-keyboard (slide-out) phone, it's really slim. It says so under specs, if one bothers to learn how to read.
A LOT of people prefer hard keys over touchscreen keys. It's a matter of personal preference. Android phones and BB allow one to choose. Others, not so.

G

I love how article writers have no clue about the topics they write about. Honeycomb is a tablet only version of Android. Research much?

G

Really don't get why this is news or why paying the extra $50 is even a big deal. You are locked into a contract that costs at least $80 a month for 24 months. So it will cost $2120 instead $2170 big whoop.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
This phone is great, but one of its drawbacks is that it doesn't have a user replaceable battery. No way I would purchase such a phone.

Delengowski

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2011
Man, I hope this phone comes out for at&t(doubtful) being as wet behind the ears as I am. I have no credit established and trying to get a contract for Verizon will be a pita..:''(

G

@del35: Yeah, and where's the 5.25" floppy drive? This thing is useless without a floppy drive and a parallel port!

stevelord

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
Motorola phones come with a ton of junk bloatware. And their cameras continue to suck. I liked my Droid3's keyboard...and that was about it. Going to iPhone4S just worked out better for me. I also don't need to get a hard on from bragging on the internet about rooting phones.

JustPlainJef

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2001
Droid Life has supposedly acquired the latest minimum advertised price (MAP) list from Verizon which now lists the upcoming Motorola Droid 4 as $199.99 USD with a 2-year contract. During CES 2012 earlier this month, the phone was reported to cost consumers a heftier $249.99 USD subsidized. Guess Verizon heard Jane's complaint over the "sweet spot" pricing.
Ultimately whether it's $249.99 or $299.99, the phone seems to be worth every subsidized penny. Unfortunately, Verizon would not confirm the price or provide an actual release date.

I take it Tom's is still looking for that copy editor?

Stardude82

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
[citation][nom]Delengowski[/nom]And paying $900 for an unlocked version is absolutely out of the picture[/citation]
Silly, there are virtually no unlocked CDMA phones. Verizon's subsidy is around $250, so this is a ~$500 phone.

neon871

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2011
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]Um, hey Toms...Android Honeycomb = Android 3.0Android Gingerbread = Android 2.3.5[/citation]
Let’s discuss for a moment what this phone having Android 3.0 Honeycomb could mean for the user. First of all, Honeycomb was designed with fragments, these fragments for all intensive purposes making Honeycomb a diverse enough situation to be able to work on this small a phone, but, as a person who’s used this operating system on a tablet, I must say it’ll be a little odd having it function on such a small screen. Buttons meant to be big, and all that. On the other hand, it might just be that the original source for this information added the word Honeycomb in error for 2.3, which would be Android 2.3 Gingerbread, which would make a whole lot more sense.

We shall see!

Kryan

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
I've said it before and I'll say it again...you guys in the US are being bumpoked by these prices and contracts. In europe people roflmao @ your prices and crazy contracts. is it even POSSIBLE to set up a pay as you go billing service (without signing a minimum 12-24 month contract?)?
SGS2 - 345 euros.
Prepaid SIM card with 15 euros of call time + TRUE uncapped data - 15 euros/month
contract - what contract? I leave when I want, biiiaaat*h.

quotas47

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
@del: I don't know what you need a removeable battery for anymore...

I've had a full keyboard on my phones for over 4 years, but considering the similarities, I'm getting the Droid Razr Maxx instead. I think phones have moved beyond the need for a full keyboard like they needed 2+ years ago, and the battery life on the Maxx is far superior.
It's very likely the software on both platforms is identical, but can't be certain until this phone is released to compare it side by side to mine.

happyballz

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
Hard to call these prices "subsidized" when they rape you for the cost of the phone + more in the 2 year contract. I rather them have an additional option of having a cheaper monthly plan where you bring your own phone; right now there is no cost reduction if you bring your own equipment.
Also, OMAP 4430 is old news... motorola needs to lead not trail behind by a year if they want market.

Status
Not open for further replies.