Motorola's iPhone Killer Specs Leaked

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

h0llow

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
uah $899 is obviously retail price as in if you are buying the phone without a contract.. im sure the phone will probably run around $150+ with a 2yr contract and most likely with a data package.

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
Who said anything about $899?

This "Seller" and "retailler" guy is just making up BS because he is an iFanboy.

There are no actual sources that cite that price, or any price, of the phone except some random guy.

You all are such pathetic iPhone fanboys, its extremely overrated.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]h0llow[/nom]uah $899 is obviously retail price as in if you are buying the phone without a contract.. im sure the phone will probably run around $150+ with a 2yr contract and most likely with a data package.[/citation]

$150? HA, yeah, right...

Try $300-$400 at the very least... maybe even $500. If this phone isn't priced the same as the iphone, it won't be an iphone killer.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]The_Blood_Raven[/nom]Who said anything about $899?This "Seller" and "retailler" guy is just making up BS because he is an iFanboy.There are no actual sources that cite that price, or any price, of the phone except some random guy.You all are such pathetic iPhone fanboys, its extremely overrated.[/citation]

Hater. lol

Really though, the iPhone IS a good phone. It has it's shortcomings, but in all, I think it's the best phone I've used. And, it's not for the looks....... I have it in a giant Otterbox Defender case.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]Steven Bancroft[/nom]Another "iphone killer". What number of "killers" have there been? None have materialized into anything that the market has adopted into anything of the sort. G1, Pre, Nokia phones... Although Droid does look more promising that any of those... on paper.[/citation]

Very true. Calling a phone an iPhone killer is kind of sad. Not because it isn't possible (people just need to be more creative), but because they're riding on the competition's success to push their own product.

Steven Bancroft

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
[citation][nom]pocketdrummer[/nom]$150? HA, yeah, right...Try $300-$400 at the very least... maybe even $500. If this phone isn't priced the same as the iphone, it won't be an iphone killer.[/citation]

Agreed. They will have to price this aggressively and subsidize in order to woo iPhone users. AT&T sucks, but I live with it because my jailbroken iPhone is the best phone I have ever had. But if Verizon wants to win us over, the price for the phone and the service had better be identical if not cheaper, because I'm not paying an additional cent to switch.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I don't see any mention of multi-touch capacitive touch screen. This is no iPhone killer without a multi-touch capacitive touch screen and even if it had it still a lot of questions before I could call it an "iPhone killer."

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
[citation][nom]doc70[/nom]sounds awesome, can't wait to see reviews and with the OS so easy to customize, as opposed to iPhone, this could be the phone that I might be migrating to (if it comes in GSM flavor) from my self-built/customized v3[/citation]

Actually, rumor has it that a GSM version of the Motorola Sholes is in the works.

----
Motorola isn't the only company bringing Android phones to Verizon either. Rumors have been swirling for some time of an HTC Hero look-alike to come along real soon. Some sites even claiming the HTC device was FCC approved and on Verizon's internal inventory. The Moto Calgary looks interesting too (although I'm weary of the keyboard).

That's just on the Verizon front... AT&T has Android phones on the way, supposedly including the Dell and HTC Hero, and Sprint is supposedly working with Samsung on WiMAX enabled phones.

Back on subject on the Droid, I'd expect it to occupy a 300 dollar price point with the HTC phone coming in around 180 dollars. Verizon won't sell the Droid at 200 bucks, and eat that large of a loss, when they have an HTC Android in their lineup. If things pan out, the Droid will also be the new "best phone on the market", and will command a price premium, even over Apple. If the Droid sells for 200 bucks, it'd be a damn aggressive move by Verizon, and I'd be out in the cold camping with the fanboys in that case.

In all honesty, I hope these Androids eat up Apple's market share. I admit they have an awesome phone, but I don't like the way they do business. I want open development for an OS available to all manufactures, and Android Market to be victorious over the locked down Apple store. We all lose if Apple wins. Go Android!

Parsifal57

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
The sad part about this, is that its another one of the 'Exclusive' phones to a provider, in this case Verizon.

If the same phone was available to multiple providers there would be more competition on plans and phone pricing.

I can't see how the phone companies can justify exclusive phone deals as being good for the consumer.

I for example would have had an iPhone if not for the fact it was with AT&T. The exclusivity here has damaged Apples sales and allowed the competition to catch up and in some cases pass the functionality of the iPhone.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2009
[citation][nom]Pei-chen[/nom]Sound great and has better spec than iPhone but still, it is not an iPhone. People will ask you if it is an iPhone. iPhone owners will tell you about a great app on the iPhone store and so on.[/citation]

I agree. Motorola may be able to beat Apple's hardware specs and offer a technically superior product, but until they match the awesome power of Apple's marketing department this wont take more than a few users from iPhone.

omfgnoogies

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
I wonder how the touch screen tech feels on that phone. AFAIK there is no other phone that can compete with the iphone when it comes to the way it feels when playing around with it. All the other touch screen phones leave me feeling somewhat annoyed for the lack of responsiveness and the amount of errors made cause you cant see exactly where your fingers are.

gerohmygosh

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
World of Warcraft, iPhone, and Wii. You can make things better then them, but it won't get many to switch over. They either pioneered into the idea or got the formula down the first time, that is what you can't ever beat.

rick_h

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
From the sketchy specs, this hardware has a better camera, a higher resolution screen and a slide-out qwerty keyboard. As a former owner of a Palm Treo 650, HTC Blue Angel, Wizard, and Hermes and now current owner of a 3GS IPhone, the keyboard will be the biggest plus, provided that they build the slider mechanism out of a near industructable material. The quality of the camera is yet to be tried, so I'll take a neutral postion on this. High resolution? you got to be kidding! Were talking about a screen the size of a postage stamp. What would make this a success is to have a KVM option allowing it to interface with standard peripherals. However, calling it a 'Iphone Killer' is a bit of a stretch. Perhaps a Blackberry, HTC or Palm killer?

smlong

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2006
I like the specs on the phone. I would consider buying it if I hadn't just bought the Nokia 5800 unlocked for ~ $230.

But, I have to say again, my Nokia 5800 XpressMusic does all that and then some (minus slide out keyboard). It already has all the killer apps/features that I need/want: Bluetooth A2DP capable stack (perfect for my bluetooth headphones), Garmin Mobile XT with 2010 North America maps, Google Maps, Exhchange & Google IMAP mail, video capture (640x360 30 fps), video playback (H.264, etc), games (chess), Opera Mini, Facebook client, Twitter client, MAME, wifi, multi-protocol IM client, PDF viewer, touch screen, etc.

As for the iPhone touch screen being the "best," the Nokia is very accurate and provides feedback. It really does feel like a real keyboard at times.

apmyhr

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
[citation][nom]h0llow[/nom]uah $899 is obviously retail price as in if you are buying the phone without a contract.. im sure the phone will probably run around $150+ with a 2yr contract and most likely with a data package.[/citation]
I'm a little sad that so many Tom's readers didn't realize this when they read the $899 figure. Although I think your estimate is a little off. I would expect at least $200 or $300.

Status
Not open for further replies.