Motorola's iPhone Killer Specs Leaked

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

timberwolf1128

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
[citation][nom]pocketdrummer[/nom]$150? HA, yeah, right...Try $300-$400 at the very least... maybe even $500. If this phone isn't priced the same as the iphone, it won't be an iphone killer.[/citation]

Why does it have to be priced the same as the iphone? why cant it be cheaper? after all if there is two phones that have the same features or if theres a phone that has the same features and is priced at even $50 less i will certainly save my money. Apple products tend to cost a premium so i see no reason why this cant go for less then an igrenade.

Clintonio

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
I really dislike Apple. I'm not buying an iPhone. I love Windows 7.

BUT

Can people stop with the "iGrenade" crap. My Nokia causes enough heat to make my ear uncomfortable every single time I make a call. It may not explode, but it's still an overheating pile of Smartphone wank just like the rest of the Smartphones out there.

G

one thing im sick of listening is the term iphone killer. like it or not this is marketing and publishing style of iphone killer is still a good publication for iphone and a bad rep for the new product. why dont you just come up w a better review and not mentioning iphone. i think this would be a fair and unbiased article.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
These have flash built in. I don't know much about phones but that is one of the selling points afaik.

And thank god I don't own an iphone. I am going to look at one of these again and see the price and go from there. I liked using it at the demonstration microsoft had a couple days ago. There's also a new blackberry with touch screen but blackberry is meh, I like these new windows mobile devices I was impressed.

I can say that I was skeptical about Windows 7 and windows mobile. But now I see that they are amazing products and my buck is behind them. So much for apple, I was considering buying an ipod product or a macbook but some things draw me away from it such as this web site's constant disregard for PC users with stupid apple news articles and also finding that there are cheaper nicer alternatives to mac products even mp3 players. Apple's ipod shuffle is a good example of a very overpriced product. What is it $80 for 2 gigs? 2 gigabytes is only worth about $5 these days in flash memory so what else is in there? The whole thing comes out of China "desinged in California" big deal. Not like Chinese people can't do the same thing.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
I just took some time to look at the spec sheet:
http://phandroid.com/2009/10/22/motorola-droid-specs-pics-features-at-motorola-com/

Some takeaways for me were:
-Haptic Feedback
-Flash support
-EXCHANGE EMAIL AND CALENDAR SUPPORT (exchange support isn't built into Android, and needs to be added by the device manufacturer. This was important.)
-4x zoom, stabilization, and 2 LED flash for the 5MP camera.
-550MHz TI OMAP3430 (Pretty much a the same CPU that's in a Pre or 3GS)
-16GB microSD card pre-installed, expandable to 32GB
(I couldn't find memory specifications for the ROM and RAM)

Paraphrasing from BGR, the phone's display is excellent, it flies (performance wise), the QWERTY keyboard has a nice rubberized finish, its the thinnest QWERTY slider phone they've ever seen, it has a cradle charger that's meant to turn the Droid into a multimedia station... and its the most impressive phone they've used since the iPhone.

Can't wait until hands on review start showing up.

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
so dropping that accelerometer and compass for a slide out keyboard and a flash is a good thing how?

When will folks learn that its not the hardware that makes a great phone, its the software and features as well as ease of use.

geminireaper

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]I don't see any mention of multi-touch capacitive touch screen. This is no iPhone killer without a multi-touch capacitive touch screen and even if it had it still a lot of questions before I could call it an "iPhone killer."[/citation]
Ill take a qwerty keyboard over a multi touch capacitive touch screen any day of the week.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
@Kingssman
If you don't see the value of a QWERTY keyboard and Dual LED flash, it just tells me you don't message anyone (aww, no friends?), and rarely take pictures (aww, no friends?).

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]geminireaper[/nom]Ill take a qwerty keyboard over a multi touch capacitive touch screen any day of the week.[/citation]

That makes one.

Like I said, no multi-touch capacitive touch screen = no iPhone killer. You can't possibly match the ease of use of the iPhone without it.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]geminireaper[/nom]Ill take a qwerty keyboard over a multi touch capacitive touch screen any day of the week.[/citation]
Having bought the iPhone 3G after using 2 HTC phones wtih full sliding keyboards over 3 years, I can say that I dont miss the slide out keyboard at all. When I first got the iPhone it was a pain typing on the touch screen because I kept stopping to fix mistakes as I was going.. Once I realized that the autofix thing works pretty good, I just type as fast as I can, and most of the time it fixes everything properly for me anyway.. My contract will be up again in about a year, so we'll see how long I run an Apple phone..

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
I couldn't find this info before, but apparently the Droid has an accelerometer and the RAM spec I couldn't find before was 256MB. I did a little more digging, and it does have a digital magnetometer (compass) as well.

I swear, you fucking iPhone fanboys grasp at straws sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.