Mouse Lag / Freezing

Aug 19, 2018
I recently got a problem where my mouse keeps freezing/lagging randomly...
3 days ago I moved my PC to a different room.
Before moving it, I had no problems, everything was perfect... but after moving it and plugging everything back in, My cursor started to lag/freeze...
I have tried many things...
I tried plugging the mouse into 6 different USB slots, including the USB slot it was plugged into before I moved my PC....
I uninstalled the mouse driver and reinstalled it...
Opened the mouse to check if there was anything blocking the sensor..
Bought a new mouse but still had the same problem..
uninstalled and reinstalled the driver of the new mouse..
Bought a USB hub and tried all 5 USB slots on it...
Opened the new mouse and also checked if anything was blocking the sensor...
I was also told this problem can be caused by the graphics card driver, which I uninstalled and reinstalled but it..
someone told me decreasing the mouse polling rate can fix it..
but it didn't...
I know this isn't a problem from the mouse or the USB slots...
because when the freezing / mouse lag happens, the mouse is still connected and working... and when the freezing stops, the cursor on the screen moves to where its supposed to be if there was no mouse lag.. meaning the sensor is detecting the movement...
its also not the USB slots because I checked 11 USB Slots... Including USB slots that my keyboard works perfectly fine on....
If anyone can help me with this problem, I would really appreciate it!

Edit: I forgot to mention that the mouse lag only happens when I am logged into a user account... it never happens on the Logon screen of windows...

Solution
Because you have that many visitors (malware) on your windows installation, those malware infections is probably the root cause why your mouse pointer feels laggy.
I would just had installed Windows over again (not true acually, personally I'd rather installed Linux).

Grobe

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Problem is narrowed down to Windows as far I can tell. Maybe you have forgot to remove an old mouse driver - or you've got some malware that make this behaviour.

Aug 19, 2018

Thank you for your reply..
I have removed all old drivers for my mouse and for everything else, I also used an anti virus program and MalwareBytes , but it did not seem to help..

Grobe

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Since the mouse does operate properly before login, the problem is somewhere in Windows.

If there is not the mouse driver itself being the problem, maybe you have some malware or other drivers that should not be there.

Aug 19, 2018

I Have uninstalled all old drivers and unused drivers, I have also ran an anti virus FULL scan and Malware bytes, antivirus showing 0 threats, and malware bytes showing 12 threats, I have removed all threats but I still have mouse lag.

Grobe

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Well - if the mous lag is still present after login, and not prior to login, it is still sounds like a windows issue.

Is there any other symptoms other than the mouse lag? Like file transfer speed to usb storage devices?

Aug 19, 2018

nope, file transfer and the PC itself is fully fine..
yesterday I installed AVG Antivirus and it found 6 threats, one of which was called "WinddowsUpdater" with a double "d" in "windows"...
it was disguised as windows update and was always running in the background, and it was set to run on startup.... it was preventing my PC from getting windows updates since 31/1/2018...
I have removed it thinking windows updates can fix the problem...
96 updates were installed yesterday.. and today 68 updates...
but the problem is still present, I might just format my entire PC with a new copy of windows...

Grobe

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Because you have that many visitors (malware) on your windows installation, those malware infections is probably the root cause why your mouse pointer feels laggy.
I would just had installed Windows over again (not true acually, personally I'd rather installed Linux).

Solution