Move programs to other computers

carl157

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018
Hey!
I wonder if it is possible to install programs on an external hard drive and then move the hard drive to another computer and then run the program on another computer?

No. That won't work. When you install a program on a computer, it makes changes to the system's registry. Those changes do not appear on any other computer so the second computer won't know where any of the application files are located.

-Wolf sends

N3rdR4ge

Estimable
Jun 16, 2014
Unfortunately most programs need to be installed on the system. Just moving the files will not register the program with windows and the program will not run.

they make migration programs. i have used this one before and it works well.

PCmover:
http://ppc.laplink.com/specialpages/us-branded-pcmover/

canadianvice

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2012
So, two solutions. As mentioned the virtualizers can be a bit hacky (I use Cameyo myself) and time consuming, since they basically work by taking a pre-install image and a post-install image and find the differences to figure out what they have to bring along for the right.

A better option, provided it covers the apps you want, is to go to PortableApps.com. These are all designed to work only within their directory & therefore on a USB stick. Some applications (often smaller utilities) will also offer the "use own directory" or a portable installation download option you can use to the same effect.

TRENDING THREADS