Question Moved to this house - another socket to understand

roccobangs

Great
Apr 8, 2022
Thank you all for the help on my previous thread.

While working on the house encountered this socket and forgot to ask what was it.

You can find the pictures below:
Photo 1

Photo 2

It is a house that has been wired in 2012 (or earlier than that) and could not find any kind of references online.

Anyone knows what is this? Also, if this is in wrong forum's space, feel free to move it.

Thank you so much for your help.

roccobangs

Great
Apr 8, 2022
Hi 69Rixter
the reason why is outside is a mystery. We do have the same in two different rooms.

Do you know which kind of ethernet cable should be used ? Also, once connected should this bring connection from the table to pc?

Thanks for your reply

69Rixter

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2015
RE: roccobangs

Looks to me to be standard ehternet/telephone cable. Well, at least 2 of us consider it a mystery LOL. First, bring the cable directly into the house, then mount that box and connect cable from there. The box shown is not, as far as I can tell, a weatherproof box and thus, doesn't protect the connection from moister. I don't understand "Also, once connected should this bring connection from the table to pc? " You should run the cable to a router/connect into the router and then you should have WI-FI within a reasonable distance of the router. Or, if you choose, connect into the box and run cable directly to your PC. I hope that answers your question?

roccobangs

Great
Apr 8, 2022
It is definitely a mystery to both of us.

This is not a standard ethernet cable as we know but a different, the mystery is also "which cable is that?". While browsing, it was impossible to find such a ethernet cable. This box has a clip on the side and not on the top (as standard).

Once discovered will try to resolve the mystery.

Thanks again!

69Rixter

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2015
Hey: rocobangs

Standard telephone cable, it's the connector that's that is a bit different. In the link you provided, I believe it's the top connector you need. Look at your PC's connection port and you'll be able to figure it out

roccobangs

Great
Apr 8, 2022
Thanks 69Rixter.

My laptop has a standard ethernet cable.

So if I buy a cable like the one above with ethernet at the end, should I be able to provide internet connection?

Thanks again