Mozilla Pitches New Developer Language Rust

Status
Not open for further replies.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]Interesting, would love to see if this will impact FF memory hogging.[/citation]
umm... it isnt?

chrome eith i think 150 tabs eats up about 4gb of memory
ff with 500+ tabs is only eating 1gb

logman0u812

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
Depends what is being viewed in the tab. Has nothing to do whether its chrome or ff. As long as the browser cleans itself up after using the memory... but that still has alot to do with item being run inside the browser.

koga73

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2008
the problem with these languages like rust and dart are that they are owned by the browsers firefox and google respectively. this being the case competitor browsers are slow to adopt, if at all.

the great thing about flash is that it is owned by a single company, adobe... therefore the flash player runtime runs the same across multiple platforms and browsers whereas with these other languages including html5 and javascript the rendering is implementation specific so you have to deal with how it is going to render across all browsers and platforms. we are moving the opposite way technologically.

logman0u812

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
most compiled languages used today never heard of the internet when they were born, and it is more like fitting a square peg into a round hole. Sometimes it is better to start from scratch than bang you head trying to make something work the long way around.

should be fast (low dependancy/bloat), and easy to learn and understand... and can be used in multiple operating systems.
Go? Rust? no idea

but a few years ago nobody thought you needed anything more than IE as a browser.

madooo12

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
[citation][nom]logman0u812[/nom]Depends what is being viewed in the tab. Has nothing to do whether its chrome or ff. As long as the browser cleans itself up after using the memory... but that still has alot to do with item being run inside the browser.[/citation]
actually it does, tabs in chrome use separate processes which means more memory consumption

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Um 5 tabs open in FF= 450MB plus 40MB for plug in container. Those same tabs open in IE9 216MB, Maybe they should fix FF from crashing all the time from Flash still and being a memory hog first.[/citation]
I have 11 tabs open in FF and it is taking up 362MB RAM, like another poster said the content in the tabs do make a difference, as for flash I have yet to see FF crash from flash in the many years I have been using it.

As for IE9 those same 11 tabs is using up about 403MB RAM so umm seems each browser uses different amounts of RAM for different pages.Seems you cannot compare them since it will always vary some will do better then others depending on the sets of tabs open.

keyanf

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
standards.png

logman0u812

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
[citation][nom]madooo12[/nom]actually it does, tabs in chrome use separate processes which means more memory consumption[/citation]
maybe, maybe not
separate processes give you benefits too. More benefits than having one large process.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]keyanf[/nom][/citation]

I always wondered how we end up with so many different standards.
Thanks for finally clearing this up !

:)

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I don't know of anyone that knows how to program in Go. Some devs took a look at it when it came out, but you just can't develop for a single browser.

As for memory usage, FF does seem to use less memory than Chrome, however FF just doesn't give any of it back when you close tabs. If I start to run out of memory in Chrome I just close a few tabs, in FF I have to close the whole browser. There are times when I've had a single tab open in FF (after closing a bunch) and its still using 2+ GB of memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.