Mozilla Says HTML5 is the Future

Status
Not open for further replies.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
i so hope that html 5 requires ads to be marked a certain way so we can block them. i want to kill the blue text minefield on this site, so far flash block works in chrome for this, but i stll get transparent popups

G

Video and animation are not Flash Platform's only concern. There are huge capabilities of FP coming with ActionScripting. HTML on the other hand is just a markup language. We are talking about a very much pervasive plugin among internet users. With power drain issues solved, I believe Flash Player will be living much more than anticipated.

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
"He also noted that Flash is responsible for more crashes on Firefox than any other plug-in"

Will say the same thing as i did when Apple was bashing Adobe, try making a product that can run it no problems so you can say you overcame the challenges before complaining. I have no problems with Flash on my Chrome browser. Mozilla has been doing a lot of bashing recently, between this and Microsoft. They need to get over themselves, i'd understand if they actually had the best browser, but they dont...

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Flash may not be a good solution for general websites when jQuery is available but for games and similar interactive content I think Flash is a much better solution than developing separately for every mobile platform.

BWMerlin

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2003
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]i so hope that html 5 requires ads to be marked a certain way so we can block them. i want to kill the blue text minefield on this site, so far flash block works in chrome for this, but i stll get transparent popups[/citation]

Doubt that will happen for the same reason that both Firefox and IE removed/disabled by default the ability to stop site tracking you because the ad companies wanted it in there so they could make money.

As for the blue text minefield I had no idea what you were talking about till I disabled adblock plus and crap started appearing all over the placed. Get adblock plus, subscribe to some filters for it and then enjoy (I honestly didn't know most of the sites I visit had ads on them until for what ever reason I have to use another computer that doesn't have FF and adblock plus).

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
What I don't like about FLASH is that a lot of them could not be stopped unless you completely disable the flash plug-in. I wish flash would have the ability to prevent looping on a per web-page basis.

tonydu

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2010
Like many others, I find flash to be a poor solution.

But this misses an important aspect. Throughout the history of the personal computer both Bill Gates and Steve Jobs and other executives have held meetings to divide up the market so that each can get maximum profit. And this looks like Steve "selling out" Flash for Bill's "Silverlight" future for Microsoft. I don't know this firsthand, but I do know that they've met routinely for years and removed features in products to allow each other to sell into particular market segments. So this sounds like the same thing again.

I'm mystified by those who claim that somehow "free market is good" when we have so much evidence that it has both good and bad aspects. Our society needs to pass more laws to control this greed. Let's limit marketing of products by companies that act in any way that doesn't benefit the public.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Flash causes more crashes than any other plugin? Well no shit? It's used more than any other plugin. Today I had my first flash crash in probably 6 or 7 years. OMG IT CRASHES SO MUCH.

I'm pretty sure it was the shitty amateur hour site I was on anyway and had nothing to do with flash but rather bad programming on the website author's part.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
1) Yes, flash causes a lot of crashes. However, it's also the only plugin that is used every day by pretty much everyone and interacts with pretty complex material (video, simple interactive material). Suprise?

2) HTML 5 is great, but not ready for prime time yet. Full screen support is botched at best, the debate about which video standard to use caused a huge delay and scared of many potential adopters and support isn't yet widespread.

3) Adobe turned Flash Player into a safety leak that uses more system resources than it should (one of the few things I agree with Steve Jobs on), but version 10.1 and especially 10.2/10.3 changed everything. Pretty good hardware support and increased stability made Flash worth using again.

4) What's wrong with Mozilla these days? They bash pretty much everyone. Opera does it too, but in a more constructive and rational manner. Those guys at Mozilla are sure having a hard time. Not that long ago, IE was junk, Opera was nigh unknown and Chrome didn't exist yet. Safari for windows was and still is a joke. FF was the only browser that had mass market appeal and was a quality product. Today, IE is fast and secure, Opera is still the great guy that everyone forgets about and Chrome is gaining market share faster than you can speak.

Time to release a better browser....

bhaberle

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
Mozilla is pretty pathetic at this point. They cannot release a product even if their life depended on it. Plus their new browser loads slower (after a reset) than Chrome and even IE, by a huge margin.

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
For fuck's sake. Just bring out h264 and ditch Flash already.

At least for video content, which is the reason 95% of us install it anyway (the rest are Farmville players. Friggin' Farmville...).

Flash crashes on Linux like crazy, especially if it doesn't have gobbles of RAM available. I have yet to try it on 64 bit Linux, which I hear has even more problems since it needs to be wrapped in a compatibility layer. If it was open source Apple I bet wouldn't have a problem with it. And neither would Linux. Especially Linux.

newbie_mcnoob

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
Hey Mozilla: spend less time complaining and get H.264 video in HTML5 supported for your browser instead of thinking people will convert to Theora video in ogg files.

Status
Not open for further replies.