Mozilla Shows Off Awesome Smartphone Concept

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
If Mozilla gave me that phone, I wouldn't mind them ruling as Mozilla overlords...Google, I'm sorry, but Mozilla would beat you with this phone :p

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Now this just makes anything Apple has done with the iPhone seem like something you can buy at Toys "R" Us.

Really though. Dongle? Sold! Maybe it'll play Wii games, too. LOL

G

Am I the only person that noticed that the UI is Android? Check out the menu and the forms near the end. Please, please don't base it on Android!!

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Not bad but it's too girly with the smooth curving lines. The projected keyboard is really clunky in practice and I'd prefer the projector projecting onto the user's eye.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
The awesomeness factor is off the scale. It has every feature I wanted to see in a phone... Let's hope the price is reasonable too and this could be a real winner.

It does look a lot like some sort of custom skinned Android, but that's not a bad thing. What alternatives do they have? iOS is impossible to use on a non-Apple device and inferior to Android. Windows Mobile lacks even more features than iOS. Symbian is a joke.

Which leaves developing a custom OS, which is nigh impossible, or using Android. Mozilla lacks the budget, developers and partners to develop something that even Apple and Microsoft barely manage to do.

So the best option they have is to use Android, give it a personal, Mozilla-themed skin and throw it on the market. If HTC could do it, I don't see why Mozilla couldn't develop a custom UI. Besides, that phone's features are so awesome I would want it even with Windows Mobile.

G

Nicely done CGI anim.
Wonder which program was used to do it (didn't notice anything in the credits).
Anyway, would be nice if the real thing lived up to the concept (because most of the time as I came to realize, the end result looks nothing like the concept and often is reduced in capability).

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]Not bad but it's too girly with the smooth curving lines. The projected keyboard is really clunky in practice and I'd prefer the projector projecting onto the user's eye.[/citation]

1) Too girly? Debatable. I personally find it appealing. Not beautiful, but certainly appealing enough. This would look really nice in an anthracite, matte-gray finish.

2) Projected keyboards are indeed clunky, but so are on screen keyboards and even physical ones. You have to give up tactile feedback, but the larger size would make up for that. Especially when using Swype, which doesn't really need tactile or haptic feedback to be comfortable. And if you don't want the projected keyboard, I'm sure they'll add a regular touch screen keyboard.

3) Projecting onto the user's eye? Excellent for your eyes...

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]Silmarunya[/nom]Projecting onto the user's eye? Excellent for your eyes...[/citation]

Everything you see is projecting photons/energy onto your eyes anyway. Ok, if you're worried you can have a wearable display (glasses or lenses). The main thing is to lose the physical screens and inputs so that devices get really small and power efficient.

hpram99

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2010
Why Mini USB? Micro-USB is endorsed by the UN and required by 2012 in the USA. It's smaller and has the same features/pin count.

digiex

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
stand alone pico projector is already worth one smartphone, much more for 2 projector in a phone, it will be expensive.

Spazzy

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2007
That's flippin awesome.......In reality, carrying around the dock all day might not be feasible.....so, all you have is the mouse when your mobile, fortunately, the built in mouse is an awesome concept on its own!

Status
Not open for further replies.