MSFT Aims to Patent Every Aspect of Kinect

Status
Not open for further replies.

davewolfgang

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
One patent should ONLY be approved. That ACTUAL design of the ACTUAL box - not the "idea" on what it does. Sheeeeeze - these better not get approved (yeah, I know, they probably will).

Is M$ going to sue all the grocery store automatic door makers for being able to "sense" people when they get close to the doors? (That have been around for 30ish (or more) years???)

G

A device for ..
Again with the these almost 'aspirational' patents. Not patenting the device or technology itself, but the actual idea of the device.
Can you imagine a patent granted in the 1800 covering a 'device, equipped with some type of motive engine for transporting goods or people'? It would have covered everything from a horse and carriage to the Space Shuttle.

gogogadgetliver

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
MS is pretty well known for licensing at reasonable rates. I would rather have them own the patent than someone who would never allow others to.

BTW: those griping about patents...Kinect wouldn't exist without them. Nobody is going to do that kind of R&D then have competitors benefit.

G

Notice the use of the phrases with ''human target"? To the machines we are a "human target". We are doomed!

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]davewolfgang[/nom]One patent should ONLY be approved. That ACTUAL design of the ACTUAL box - not the "idea" on what it does[/citation]
This isn't an idea
They actually produced the product
And they are patenting what it actually does
So where's your arguement?

irh_1974

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
None of you know what you are talking about, have any of you ever seen a patent document?
Now's your chance, just click on Avatar Integrated Shared Media Selection
That's nearly 11,000 words and links to many illustrations and process charts
Complaints that these people produce a vaguely worded document to cover just about anything like a "Space Shuttle" or a "Horse & Carriage" just need to STFU, if you spent more time inventing things like this yourself instead of thinking you are so smart because you read Tom's Hardware are in for a major shock.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]gogogadgetliver[/nom]MS is pretty well known for licensing at reasonable rates. I would rather have them own the patent than someone who would never allow others to.BTW: those griping about patents...Kinect wouldn't exist without them. Nobody is going to do that kind of R&D then have competitors benefit.[/citation]

MS is known for licensing at negative rates. Yes they pay people money to use their patents.
They made multiple patents because its easier to break down each element and protect those then to do it in one lump product, then have someone like Acer that releases a Kinect without the Gesture Genie having a product that is not infringing.

G

Not many people understand how the documents work. You think this thread is bad, go over to slashdot. :)

G

[citation][nom]irh_1974[/nom]None of you know what you are talking about, have any of you ever seen a patent document?Now's your chance, just click on Avatar Integrated Shared Media Selection ...That's nearly 11,000 words and links to many illustrations and process charts...Complaints that these people produce a vaguely worded document to cover just about anything like a "Space Shuttle" or a "Horse & Carriage" just need to STFU, if you spent more time inventing things like this yourself instead of thinking you are so smart because you read Tom's Hardware are in for a major shock.[/citation]

I have a PhD. I have submitted patents (Chemistry). I have had patents granted as a result of my research. if I think i'm so smart it's because, to be perfectly honest with you, I am

bobusboy

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
[citation][nom]stuart72[/nom]I have a PhD. I have submitted patents (Chemistry). I have had patents granted as a result of my research. if I think i'm so smart it's because, to be perfectly honest with you, I am[/citation]

You sound like my girlfriends dad.....he has a Phd in Bio-chem and thinks he's king shit of turd island. Please don't be like that.

At least not on toms.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
On other News: MSFT sues users for farting while using Kinect without prior consent from MSFT.
MSFT has claim that FARTING falls under their patent for:
- Extending Standard Gestures
- Gestures Beyond Skeletal
- Gesture Shortcuts
- Gesture Tool

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]stuart72[/nom]I have a PhD. I have submitted patents (Chemistry). I have had patents granted as a result of my research. if I think i'm so smart it's because, to be perfectly honest with you, I am[/citation]
Says you, chemistry PhDs are just grads who couldn't hack ChemE.

G

MicroMoorons are copying Medical and Sports Skeletal software.

They will be getting sued for copying hundreds of other systems.

Bunch of half wits.

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009

Smart and educated are not the same thing... ;o)

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Microsoft and their "patents" are really starting to piss me off. Don't get me wrong, I'm a Windows user and will be until Microsoft replaces it with something else, but really, putting a patent on the Kinect? Horrible idea. I'm not a fan of letting Microsoft control the complete advancement of technology, in this aspect, motion sensing gaming.

gogogadgetliver

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
Lets see...some guy educating another about a Phd. Then others, missing the joke, go into a masturbatory defensive spiral. Then there is ePeen slinging, parsing of words, a sony fan, a fart reference, and more ePeen outwhippage.

That sum up the thread?

oh and some holier than thou troll crosswatch guard putting his pennies in.

Status
Not open for further replies.