MSFT Confirms 2.5 million Kinects Sold in 25 Days

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Didn't they say we needed to hurry up and buy after they sold a million units. 2.5million units and counting. Impressive sales, but like I said before, that whole "hurry up before we're out" was total marketing BS.

thegreathuntingdolphin

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
While I think there is a bit of marketing shenanigans in the "hurry up before we're out" it is close to the truth. For one, half their stock pretty much has already sold in the first 25 days and the rest of the month is the hardcore holiday sale season.

Also, the hurry up before we are out applies more to retailers. Many retailers will run out (as happened during thanksgiving) even if Microsoft is not out.

Also, Microsoft has done the opposite of artificially creating demand by having low quantities - they have ramped up production and changed their forecast for more sales. I seriously wonder if many of you have any idea how the business world works. Yeah, MS is going to pay hundreds of millions to advertise and is competing with the Sony Move and the Wii and they are going to short supplies so customers buy their competitors products...that makes a ton of sense. Even Nintendo said they should have ramped production up for their Wii; they admitted that the Wii constantly being sold out generated buzz but ended up forcing consumers to buy the Xbox and Sony.

gogogadgetliver

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
@thegreathuntingdolphin

Agreed.

Microsoft is totally going to milk the PR about the shortage. They'll tell that news to anyone that will listen. Who could blame them?

It doesn't mean it isn't true though. There will be shortages. There just aren't enough units to have a pile in every store so they ship a few here and there, then ship more when those are sold. Just because of logistics you might have some stores run out while there are still units elsewhere (or in transit). The idea that they would deliberately not sell units is just plain stupid. How do you make money by NOT selling something. Sure it generates buzz that *might* add a sale but then you've got the missed sale you have to go back and make up for.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Console and or Microsoft haters who keep trashing the kinect are really going to eat their words when the technology is migrated to the PC, and by extension, to televisions and other home electronics. I have no interest in owning any gaming console, but from the moment I heard about this device, I knew it was revolutionary.

One device could be connected to several devices as long as they support the input. Your tv could be watching you. You say "TV on" and the t.v. turns on to your favorite channel. You can use either voice commands or gestures to replace the remote. It's not hard to see that future refinements of the kinect will be able to recognize more subtle and detailed gestures - especially with the power of a muli-core processor in a real PC behind it.

zloginet

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2008
I AM SO SICK of people comparing consoles to PC's... THEY ARE DIFFERENT!!!

Even if you build a gaming pc it is still a PERSONAL COMPUTER.

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]You got pizza though, right?[/citation]

lol no i was a bit late so i didnt get pizza but, i wasnt really going for the pizza to be honest :D

Status
Not open for further replies.