MSFT to Cut Price of Music to Compete with iTunes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morgan3rd

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
I love my zune HD and the zune pass, but I'm fairly sure that I'd prefer an android phone over a Windows phone 7... device (wow change the name ms).

Best solution? Zune app for android phones.

I guess I'll wait until this fall.

AMDnoob

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
I think once my iPods become unusable (they're like 4 years old and battery life suckkkkss) I'll get a Zune HD and get a Zune Pass. Then I won't half to sync w/ our slow ass Mac Mini >.>

apmyhr

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
[citation][nom]Herbert_HA[/nom]Still prefer to buy a CD and rip it. I can't cope the idea of paying more for a product of lesser quality.[/citation]
Maybe things have changed, but the last time I bought a CD, 6 years ago, it was about 15 bucks for 8 songs. Zune Pass you get 10 MP3 downloads + unlimited DRM content. Unless CD's have become 5 bucks or something, Zune Pass sounds like a much better deal.

apmyhr

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
I use to have Zune Pass but I didn't really use it to its full extent. I always forgot to use up all my 10 mp3 download tokens. Also, I made the mistake of thinking it was like Steam. So when I reformated my HD to upgrade from Win 7 beta to the RTM, I didn't bother backing up my downloaded MP3's and ended up loosing them. Also, the Zune Software was buggy with Win 7 at the time and wouldnt correctly re-download my DRM content. So I got fed up and cancled the whole subscription. I'm sure it works properly with Win 7 now (it was just RTM at the time) and if they reduce the price I might switch back. I'm getting tired of listening to the same 10 songs being replayed on the car radio...

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
[citation][nom]apmyhr[/nom]Maybe things have changed, but the last time I bought a CD, 6 years ago, it was about 15 bucks for 8 songs. Zune Pass you get 10 MP3 downloads + unlimited DRM content. Unless CD's have become 5 bucks or something, Zune Pass sounds like a much better deal.[/citation]

He's talking about the bitrate. Why pay for a song encoded as a 128kbits/s .mp3 when you can stream that kind of quality online for FREE? At least you can rip a CD to .flac

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
Zunes don't have enough space (64gb max so far) for a large FLAC music collection IMHO. I am so close to getting a Zune... All I am waiting for is (hopefully) SDHC or something so I no longer have this limit...

m-manla

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
I say do it! If they can have a 5 songs for $5 per month (like Napster), I will most likely defect to Microsoft, and since I am planning to get a WP7 Based phone, this will be perfect.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]dman3k[/nom]Zune Pass is already the best subscription service at that price point and now even lower? Dang, thanks MS![/citation]
hate to break it to u, but u should be thanking apple = /

TheKurrgan

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
As far as bit rate goes, everything I've gotten off MSN Music has been 256K -- a respectable data rate for any music lover, perhaps not the audiophile however. 320k or bust for those dudes.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
$15/month and download all the songs I want... Must be offered in FLAC format. No DRM of any type.
I like variety in my music, and no way in hell am i going to pay $1/song when I want a collection of 10,000.

signedup+1

Distinguished
May 29, 2010
The Apple 160GB iPod Classic in black and iTunes (audio player part, that's it) are really the only useful things made. iPhone is better, but shit everyone knows once you dropped that thing you're screwed.

Status
Not open for further replies.