MSFT to Kill Off Zune Hardware, Retain Software

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]Consumer digital cameras may suffer the same fate.[/citation]
I have my doubts that consumer digital cameras will disappear because a phone camera will never be as good. I'm not talking about megapixels. Megapixels nowadays are used as a selling point. One of the reason why phones will never be as good is because of the optics.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
You know, the "tepid demand" was probably caused by their (stupid) decision to release this ONLY in the US. Here is a buyer that was willing to get it, but has went with a Cowon S9 instead. Thanks a lot for making me wait for nothing, MS.

reggieray

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
The copycat company's phone will fail too.
MS got lucky with the Crapbox 360, especially with the 50%+ failure rate of the first generation. The only thing that saved them was that owners already spent a butt-load on games and did not want to switch paltforms.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]ReggieRay[/nom]The copycat company's phone will fail too.MS got lucky with the Crapbox 360, especially with the 50%+ failure rate of the first generation. The only thing that saved them was that owners already spent a butt-load on games and did not want to switch paltforms.[/citation]
I guess the Kinect is lucky too, being the fastest selling bit of consumer electronics in history.

To say that Zune is a failure because they won't make any more Zune hardware and only have the software of WP7 phones is no differant that Apple no longer manufacturing iPod 1st Gen hardware and focussing more on the iPhone, out with the old and in with the new.

Oh, and for all those wanting a good rival to iTunes don't look to MS, try Winamp instead.

G

@back_by_demand

i thought the only real rival to iTunes was a lump of turd.....

fredcolon

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011
The Zune MP3 player and the Zune music service has been a disaster for Microsoft. Microsoft finally came to its sense and is shutting down this fiasco.

datawrecker

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
Last time I checked I had the Zune Marketplace on the 360 and has been there for quite a while. The Zune Services are on WP7 as well.

The Zune HD hardware had real potential. It looked better than the iPod, had a better interface, better sound quality, and had an HDMI output. On paper, the Zune HD had bested the Apple. The problem is that there was absolutely no marketing for it. And that is the real fail here. The device was great. The marketing was non-existent.

jestern

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
What a waste.

Not that I ever planned on purchasing one (No drag and drop loading immediately kills it as a viable DAP for me, personally), but it was a very original design and could have probably taken more marketshare from Apple over time with upgrades and improvements.

[citation][nom]jhansonxi[/nom]The only problem with Zune was that it's not an iPod and only worked with Windows systems. They should have called it iZune.Realistically though, separate media players will eventually disappear as the functionality will be merged into cell phones. Consumer digital cameras may suffer the same fate.[/citation]

Not everyone needs a cell phone, so I don't think this will happen. I'm glad my mp3 player of choice is from an obscure foreign company. I pay a little more because it isn't as widely supported as the Ipod is, but its quality is better and its practically only supported by people who really love their music, not the fashion-trendy oriented mass market schlomps who only want to fit in with a certain group.

My condolences to all the Zune HD fans out there. Next time maybe buy from a company who's dedicated to the DAP & PMP market and actually needs the revenue from its sales to survive?

knifefishkiller

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
I have had a Zune 80 for 3 years also and i have nothing but praise for it and the zune marketplace. They were the first ones to have the monthly fee for unlimited music which is the only way of doing it in my opinion and let alone they pretty much negated the charge cause they gave you 10 song credits every month also with the subscription. I will be pretty bummed if they all together drop the Zune and marketplace. Like someone else said the only reason why it isnt tied with the ipod and or ahead of it was because they did nothing to promote it. I know if more people new about the monthly subscription and song credits along with the great ui there is no way in he double hockey sticks they would be dropping it.

hexiv

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]datawrecker[/nom]Last time I checked I had the Zune Marketplace on the 360 and has been there for quite a while. The Zune Services are on WP7 as well. The Zune HD hardware had real potential. It looked better than the iPod, had a better interface, better sound quality, and had an HDMI output. On paper, the Zune HD had bested the Apple. The problem is that there was absolutely no marketing for it. And that is the real fail here. The device was great. The marketing was non-existent.[/citation]

Exactly. I'll admit that I'm an Apple hater so I will never buy any Apple product, my wife got me the Zune HD for Christmas and I think the device is great. Sad day to see one of the only major Apple competitors fall. Maybe Apple should throw some money Microsoft's way to keep it alive like Microsoft did to Apple oh so many years ago - Monopoly problems and all...

DokkRokken

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
[citation][nom]K3vBot6000[/nom]I love my Zune 80GB and it is still running strong after 3 years, which is more than I can say about iPods my friends have had over the years. It is sturdy with a nice interface and software, the screen is beautiful, it is the perfect portable music device for me.[/citation]

I hear that. The big screen, easy navigation and excellent sound quality are what sold me on the Zune, after using two iPods. I've even managed to get a couple people on Zune's, and they still wonder why they bothered with Apple's players.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]beta tester[/nom]Another Microsoft failure.If Zune failed, then it's inevitable that the Zune phone (Windows Phone 7) will fail.Both late to market. Poorly executed. Not sold in all regions of the world. Unwanted by the public. Always destined for failure.[/citation]
Steve Jobs, you should be getting some rest. You're in no condition to troll forums.

sdeleon515

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010
Funny... I have both a zune and an ipod as a gift and the zune gets better performance on music; the iPod movies. I guess an iPod can suck as much as it wants too because its an Apple product much like Macbook Pro Hard drives can suck and fail a lot since nobody will notice since its an apple product. Oh how I love this country at times!

Status
Not open for further replies.