MSFT's Magic Mouse Hitting Next Month for $70?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobusboy

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
I'd be interested depends on what kind of features it's got, 3ds max could benifit if i could use it to manipulate the camera and objects in the scene.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Its a picture of the kin3, that was put into production before micsoft realised the huge failure that was the kin. They are selling them for $70 because thats the cost of the mp3 player its being marketed as (sarcasm) but it does look like a phone

BallistaMan

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
Doubt its the Arc. They have Arcs (or something that looks really close to them) attached to some demo laptops at the Microsoft store near here, and they look much more like the old Arc pics than this mystery product.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
The magic mouse is cool because you can perform the expose functions easily without needing to move the mouse anywhere. What are the practical applications of touch on this mouse?

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]pocketdrummer[/nom]On the bright side, Microsoft is finally getting a hang of market buzz.[/citation]

Excellent point! Can't remember this much interest/speculation since the Zune HD.

_Cubase_

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
This is why Microsoft is always coming in behind the ball compared to their competitors as of late. When they finally do release a new product, the tech is already behind the times AND fails to interest even the smallest percentage of users in comparison to what's already out there. How about working harder in releasing the devices that would actually make an ounce of difference in the market at the moment, like, I dunno: YOUR TABLET! Better still, come up with something new and instead of sitting on it for 10 years, release it first and make a fanfare about it! I am sick of seeing Apple apparently "revolutionise" the industry with their crap, and Microsoft standing back and scratching their heads, despite having the tech, and the talent to come in first!

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Microsoft, for the umpteenth time, following Apple.

What a disgusting trend. An arrogant, pretentious, overbearing company, being followed by a visionless, parasitic company that seems to only be able to copy ideas, create inferior versions of existing products, and sell them cheap enough for mass consumption.

Ballmer has to go. Since he's taken over, all Microsoft seems to do is follow ideas from Apple. That points to issues at the top. More than that, everything from them for the past five years, with the possible exception of Vista, has really sucked. Bad phones, Zune, Vista, RRoD, etc...

It's nice to be a monopoly.

G

You are seeing the back (not the front touch part) of a flat mouse that is called an 'arc mouse'. As in it must be able to form an arc when in use and go back to being flat for storage in your laptop bag.. Can you say 'bendy'?

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]bobusboy[/nom]I'd be interested depends on what kind of features it's got, 3ds max could benifit if i could use it to manipulate the camera and objects in the scene.[/citation]

there arealready sever devices that are mouse like made just for 3ds max maya and auto cad , but thier pricing in kind of high , stil though i don't see where this item would be any betterthan anormal mouse for max. however teh devices designed for auto cad adn max are awsome , and i'mhoping to get one some time if i can save teh bucks for it heresa link to the store my school uses for one such device http://www.journeyed.com/item/3Dconnexion/SpacePilot/100966565?show=specs

digitalraine

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
I completely agree with ta152h. I'm a Linux guy so am fairly impartial being that I don't care much for Apple or MS. It used to be a trend to hate MS mostly because they were all there was to hate, but now Apple's shifting into more of a driver's seat with turning technology and even old flops by Microsoft (as in - the tablet notebook is far from a new idea). I think Vista is the worst product they've made since ME, and I actually like Windows 7 as the first MS product in ages from them that I care for aside from the gaming front. But even Win7 is again mostly a collection of technology for Apple and Linux they put a slightly different spin on and threw a new label on it.
But as far as Ballmer goes - I could never stand him. He made Windows 2.0 seem like a ripoff infomercial (I'm sure the old commercials are on youtube). I hated Bill Gates until he left the day-to-day of MS, and now I even follow him on Twitter because regardless of how much blood money he got from truly Apple's idea, Apple just found a way around the same legal loophole system from Xerox, and Xerox grabbed it from UNICS and MULTICS - so it's not like one is morally better than the other. But since Ballmer took the reigns MS put out Win7 that was obviously mostly developed under the Gates era, and since then they've all had a bunch of "Kindles." Promises of big numbers and revolutionary vision and selling what was it? Like 118 phones between the 2 models?
They have some truly innovative ideas. Look at MS Surface and tell me that's not only really cool, but does it remind anybody but me of a big tablet pc? Maybe they're called tablet because they're mini replicas of the table sized one...
They've got the tools, talent, and definitely money - but when Ballmer's plan is throwing millions into a department and saying "Take down Google" then they will continue to lose the market. Their old method of buying up all the competition is at an end, and they're going to have to either learn to swim with the competition, find a new pond, or be eaten piece by piece.
As far as this touchpad type device - I don't particularly find anything truly new about this or the magic mouse. I would lean toward getting one if it were comfortable, but until it comes with multi-touch I will not take MS' word for it.. for all I know they may impliment multi-touch for the device in 10 years after I've burned through 2 of them waiting...

Status
Not open for further replies.