MSI 760GM-P23 wont unlock Phenom 560

zangy

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012
Hi, I have a Phenom II x2 560 Processor which can unlock to a Phenom B60 x4 cores using my friends motherboard(Asrock) for testing. Now I bought the Mainboard MSI 760GM-P23 from a retail store yesterday and today I assembled the whole system. After I installed the OS Windows 7, Drivers and etc.. I restarted my PC and went to BIOS settings Cell Function. I enabled Core Unlocker to Manual and what I can only see was there were only (2) cores Core 1 and Core 2 which made me worry because yesterday it can unlock to a Phenom B60 which is a Quad Core.. And I think I can't return the motherboard to the retailer even If i say that it can't unlock my processor..

I updated my BIOS and it still wont detect the 3rd and 4th core..

Solution
Problem is most likely that the board is a low end board with 95watt tdp limit. Your x2 560 is already 80W without the two extra cores. Unlocking two extra cores it would exceed 95W and possibly damage your board which thermal and power design is not able to deal with high power CPU's under load.

rolli59

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2007
Problem is most likely that the board is a low end board with 95watt tdp limit. Your x2 560 is already 80W without the two extra cores. Unlocking two extra cores it would exceed 95W and possibly damage your board which thermal and power design is not able to deal with high power CPU's under load.

Solution

zangy

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012
Thanks for that information.. But it can support AMD FX processors that are 125w TDP? it's confusing how it can support FX but cant support unlockable Cores..

rolli59

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2007

It actually has strange blanks in the CPU support which as well can support it is the board stopping you from unlocking.