MSI Announces Gaming Notebook under $800

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelfen

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
I would consider getting this laptop. The price is good, your not going to get desktop gaming but decent enough to play your average games wow ect. It would also serve as a laptop for college

apoq

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
Oh man, I just got a Dell Inspiron 1420 with an underpowered Gefoce 8400m gs which can't even run CUDA and now i'm beginning to see so many cheaper and more powerful alternatives to that. They're mainly from Asus, MSI or Acer, but i'd hit that in a jiffy, although the popular opinion is that their laptops lack in quality. I saw some Asuses and they look just right :)

Master Exon

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]kelfen[/nom]I would consider getting this laptop. The price is good, your not going to get desktop gaming but decent enough to play your average games wow ect. It would also serve as a laptop for college[/citation]

$800 laptops have been able to play Wow really well for years...

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
This is similiarly priced with ASUS notebooks of similiar specs. Which makes sense considering both run the same type of business.

Its not that it can run WoW, its that it doesn't have a crippled 8400 or 8600, its running a 9600 which would only be slightly worse then the HD3870 considering its a notebook 9600. Also the turbo switch when you are plugged into AC makes sense.

waffle911

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
Who decided that that keyboard layout was a good idea?
Why would you ever need TWO backslash keys?
It only serves to make the right-hand shift key super tiny and that much harder to hit. Useless. Plus, why would you have the track pad biased to the left? Wouldn't it be better to distance it from the ASDW keys for use in FPS's?
And is it that important that the arrow keys be full sized if you traditionally use ASDW for gaming? Why not just half-sized like some other notebooks?

FrozenGpu

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
[citation][nom]falchard[/nom]This is similiarly priced with ASUS notebooks of similiar specs. Which makes sense considering both run the same type of business.Its not that it can run WoW, its that it doesn't have a crippled 8400 or 8600, its running a 9600 which would only be slightly worse then the HD3870 considering its a notebook 9600. Also the turbo switch when you are plugged into AC makes sense.[/citation]

Yeah but a 9600M GT sounds a little weak, even at the 1200*800 resolution, it has only 32 Stream processors compared to double it's desktop counterpart. I know Ati/Nvidia have always done this to their mobile GPU's but I still don't like the sound of it...

It might just be enough for most games at that screen's max. resolution, but I wish they would work harder giving consumers a more powerful mobile gpu solution for a decent price.

All in all this is not bad and would be great for 95% of the niche market that it serves. So I might just have to look into the mobile gpu benchmarks sometime.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
We're going to start listing laptops with shit slow CPUs and class 2 GPUs as "gaming laptops"? Pfft. No.

This is as much of a gaming machine as a HP Dv5t, or Asus N80Vn. The ability to play warcraft does NOT make a laptop a "gaming" laptop. A high end GPU does. The laptop does not have a high end GPU, it has a performance class GPU, like most multimedia laptops.... only most multimedia laptops carry more high end features, and a superior screen.

Try again MSI. Where are your laptops with 55nm 9800m GS and mobility 4850 chips? Its like MSI just announces crap just for giggles, and availability is some kind of afterthought.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
Entry level gaming laptops cost 1k right now. Not 3k. But anything with less than a 8700m has no business calling itself a gaming laptop. Do you have any idea how many mainstream laptops have a 9600m GT or 8600m GT GPU? Competitors are dropping 9650m GTs into 14.1" laptops. Wake up.

G

Fulle, the difference between 9600m, 9650m, 8700m's are marginal... and anyways, a 9600m overclocks far higher than 8700m can ever hope for and achieve higher performance.

"Try again MSI. Where are your laptops with 55nm 9800m GS and mobility 4850 chips? Its like MSI just announces crap just for giggles, and availability is some kind of afterthought."

Yes, your ass was talking about high-end mobile gpu's referring to 9800m GS and above. As I mentioned, 9600 and 9700 mobiles pump out relatively similar performance, anything above that and you're talking about 256-bit bus cards. Yes, you WILL be paying 2k+ for them at the cheapest.

Status
Not open for further replies.