MSI CX640 with GT520M. Fps problem

dnly

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
Hello,

So here's my set up:
MSI CX640 laptop with Nvidia GT520M

My problem is that when I'm gaming, I will experience a severe drop in fps for no reason and then my fps will go up again. For example when I playing gw2 I will be at 63 fps (med settings) in a playerless zone but it can drop to 19 for some time.

I was wondering if anyone could provide some insight as to why this is happening. Also, I have reformatted this laptop a couple times but I don't recall experiencing this issue previously.

Thanks

mattenthehat

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
If the issue is primarily in GW2, then it could just be your CPU not being able to handle the load. When I play world vs. world in GW2, heavily populated areas will drop framerate to 15 or so, due to my CPU not being able to handle all those people and all their abilities, etc.
If you have access to a second monitor, I would suggest plugging that into your laptop, using an extended desktop onto it, then opening the task manager (ctrl + shift + esc) and watching the CPU usage chart under performance. At the same time, open up some kind of software to show your GPU usage (this is what I use: http://addgadgets.com/gpu_meter/ ). Once you have these opened and positioned on the secondary display, play your game and wait for the framerate drop to happen. When it does, look at your two meters and see which one, if either is running at 100%. That should tell you what part is having the problem.

dnly

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
I checked the task manager while I was playing GW2 and indeed the cpu history read 88% and higher usage. Thank you very much, mattenthehat for I would not have picked up on this.