MSI GE60 Apache Pro - Screen Issue or RAM?

Jay Fray

Estimable
Aug 7, 2014
Hello,

I have recently purchased a MSI GE60 Apache pro in which I installed an extra RAM (GSkill, LV). When I had both RAMs installed (i.e. the GSKILL along with the original one) I saw that they had different timings.

Along with that, I also started facing some problems in the display where the screen started to flicker and some black horizontal lines started to appear, randomly. Since that I suspected that this problem was being caused by the new RAM, I decided to remove it and let the orginal RAM there.

When I restarted the computer, the flickering was much lower however it was still there. I have been running MEMTEST for awhile, a when I do it, the flickering occurs along with the black horizontal lines that appear more frequently than when in Windows 8.1 Pro.

What should I do? :( Do you think that this is a screen issue or a RAM problem?

Thanks !

V1ctor89

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Those lines are called artifacts and they come from the GPU. It's either overheating or the VRAM is failing. Expect worse as the time goes by. You must clean the heatsink and the fan and apply new thermal paste. If this doesn't solve it, the next thing would be to have the GPU chip reflowed.

Jay Fray

Estimable
Aug 7, 2014

But the GPU was barely used :( The laptop is 1 day old.

V1ctor89

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
If this started happening imediately after purchasing it, it may be a fabrication defect. Usually the RAM does not cause artifacts. With ram is simple - if the ram is faulty the computer doesn't start (beep sounds at power on). So if any of the RAM pieces has a problem, your laptop should not start at all. If you leave it as it was and use it like that, the lines still appear?

Jay Fray

Estimable
Aug 7, 2014

Yes. The problem is still there even if I remove the new RAM and put the Original one. The problem was there since I turned on the laptop for the first time.

V1ctor89

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Then it has been this way since it got out from the assembly line. I'm sure it is still under warranty, so take it and ask for a replacement. In this case they are obliged to give you a new laptop, since it's not a user-made defect.