MSI GE60 OND fan speed issues

US_Ranger

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2011
Apparently, I'm not the only one with this issue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQjjjVOpsEQ

I've had this laptop a little over a year and now the fan is going haywire on me. It constantly cycles to zero speed at 100 percent speed every 10 seconds or so, non-stop. The only time it doesn't is if I start up a game (forces it to run faster) or if I hit the 100% fan button next to the turbo button to keep the fan spinning.

I updated my bios to the latest revision. I can't update the EC firmware because it doesn't actually contain the files necessary to do so.

http://www.msi.com/support/nb/GE60_0ND.html#down-firmware

If you go to the instructions there, it says to do things that aren't contained in the file in order to flash the EC to the latest revision. The zip folder only has 3 files.

I contacted MSI about getting a replacement fan and they said I need to send my whole laptop in. I'm in Afghanistan so I can't do that. I just came back from lunch and I had a message to restart m computer and fix errors with C: drive so that's nice. Sometimes the fan vibrates so loud that I have to shut down my computer, open the case up and then re-seat the GPU fan. This is because the damned thing spins at 100% every 10 seconds which probably is causing it to go out.

Now I'm at a loss. I just want this thing to last me until I get home (probably this winter) and then I'll take it to the range and pump the piece of shit full of .308. Going by their forums/google, there are a lot of people with this problem. Unfortunately, I'm running Windows 8 and I can't seem to get the EC firmware fixed like some of the users have been able to do. Naturally, MSI can't replicate the problem in their lab so they have no idea what anyone is talking about. How convenient.

Any help is appreciated, especially if it means making this constant start/stop of fan go away. It's driving me insane. I'm already looking on ebay for a replacement fan since this one is starting to rattle more than I'd like it to and I'm already getting crashes that are apparently destroying my hard drive. Yay!!!!!!

Thanks ahead of time everyone.