MSI GE62 vs GS60 vs Other

TheStaliniumPotato

Commendable
Mar 9, 2016
I am going to be starting my first year at college this fall and am starting to go computer shopping. I need something that will be portable with decent light use battery life and decently low heat output, but with enough power to run some fairly large games well. My budget is about $1,500, though I may consider going up to $1,800 if necessary. I have been considering the MSI GE62 Apache Pro and GS60 Ghost Pro as they seem to fit my bill. From my current system, I have had very good experience with MSI, though the killer NIC has given me troubles once in a while. Though it is a bit shallow, I would like the keyboard to have programmable RGB lighting also. Windows 10 is also a must.

To put things into scale, my current system has a GTX 970, i7-5820K, 16 (soon to be 32) GB DDR4, and currently a little over 3TB drive storage space with a 250GB SSD. I know it isn't reasonable to expect on-par performance from a laptop that will cost about $500-750 less than my desktop, but I would like enough power for some moderate to heavy gaming in my free time and some video/photo editing in PS/AE/Premiere Pro.

What would be my best bet of these? Is there something else that I may be better off with? Thanks!

Do you need something lightweight? Because the GS60 will give you overheating problems while doing anything severly intensive. If you want to run everything you need to run that is CPU and GPU intensive, then you'll have to get a thicker laptop.

The GE62 is good, but for that price you can buy the GT70. However I'm assuming you want a 15.6 inch display since you didn't mention any of MSI's 17 inch laptops.

TheStaliniumPotato

Commendable
Mar 9, 2016
Weight isn't a HUGE issue, at least not as much as temperature. I figured that I would need a thicker cased laptop, but hoped that the GS60 was somewhat of a miracle PC. the 17 inch laptop line is out of my scope due to A. the higher pricing and B. the reduced ease of use in a partially cramped lecture setting and stowage in my bag. I can deal with a thicker laptop, but not a larger-faced one. I do multitask a lot and run some CPU and GPU-intensive games, and my previous laptop (a piece of crap one, mind you) would run at a constant 80 degrees C, a thing that I would hope to avoid.

TRENDING THREADS