MSI GE72 2QD Apache laptop FPS drops when gaming

Martins_3

Commendable
Mar 15, 2016
Hello! Could someone help me?
I own MSI GE72 2QD Apache laptop
With i7-4720HQ 2,6ghz, 8gb ram, 960m Nvidia gpu.

It was fine for first three month, after that I have noticed high cpu temp, even idle its 65-70 degrees celcius.
I contacted msi support, they suggested me to give my pc for warranty service, but nearest service is in other country, like 500KM from me and it would take like month for them to give their opinion, and as I have installed SSD myself I suppose my warranty is lost. (And I need this pc for study as well)

I have even applied new thermal paste (not the cheapest one) and still nothing changed.
When gaming its about 85 degrees and in games like GTA 5 it starts to lag.
Although I have this Cooler boost feature, as soon as I start it pc stops lagging but temps doesnt change.. That's the weirdest thing, when I click that button lag is gone, but temps doesnt change

Hi,

Since you still have warranty coverage with your laptop I would have suggested sending for a repair to their repair center and upgrading to a SSD won't normally void the warranty. Please do try doing a clean install of the graphics driver that may help.
- Start by going in Device Manager and uninstall the Nvidia graphics driver.
- Next is to check Programs and Features and uninstall anything related to Nvidia.
- Once done, download and install the latest driver.
- Here's the link: nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx
- Reboot your laptop once the latest driver has been installed.
- After the reboot do test it again and see if the same problem will persist or not.
- If all these will not work I would suggest taking it to the repair center for MSI.

deineslee

Prominent
Dec 6, 2017
Sorry if reviving old thread but I found a solution for my MSI GE60 2OE. When gaming take out the battery as it creates additional heat and it seems to prioritize power to the battery. Just play with the power cord plugged in.