May 18, 2019
so i've had this issue for a while. My battery is not being detected(??) ( I tried running the dragon calibration thing and it says theres no battery inserted.)

I tried getting a new battery. it seemed to charge for hot second and then. boom. same problem. but i got that batter off of ebay so im not sure if it was just a dud or if its my computer

i tried the whole deleting the driver, updating this and that. the bios thing too. nada.
Actually a lot of the fixes for this thing say remove the ac adapter and do x y and z. i cant. if i remove the adapter, my comp shuts off.

when i hover over the battery icon it says plugged in and charging, but there's an x over the battery. and then when i click it says that the battery is fully charged and my comp light flashes blue.

when my comp is plugged in but i haven't turned it on,the red light is on as though its charging. but alas. nothing

any ideas? i have another battery coming in the mail but i'm not sure if it'll work. comp runs like a dream otherwise.

Solution
I would wait until the new battery comes, just I hope it is an OEM one and not an aftermarket battery, as that could be a problem as well. Aftermarket ones can be a large problem.

I get that you don't want to follow as suggested due to the computer shutting off, but it is good for it to actually turn off. So you should try the suggested steps that you said you read.

Now, once you have the new battery, and if it is the right one (not aftermarket), if not charging while on, then try (again) while the laptop is off. Not sleep or hibernate mind you, but actually powered off. If it will charge then, but no when on (or sleep or hibernate), then the charger is the likely problem and it will need replacing.

However, if it still won't charge...
I would wait until the new battery comes, just I hope it is an OEM one and not an aftermarket battery, as that could be a problem as well. Aftermarket ones can be a large problem.

I get that you don't want to follow as suggested due to the computer shutting off, but it is good for it to actually turn off. So you should try the suggested steps that you said you read.

Now, once you have the new battery, and if it is the right one (not aftermarket), if not charging while on, then try (again) while the laptop is off. Not sleep or hibernate mind you, but actually powered off. If it will charge then, but no when on (or sleep or hibernate), then the charger is the likely problem and it will need replacing.

However, if it still won't charge, even when powered off, Then you may want to have the laptop looked at as the charging circuit could be the issue, possibly leading to needing to replace the motherboard.

Solution
May 18, 2019

However, if it still won't charge, even when powered off, Then you may want to have the laptop looked at as the charging circuit could be the issue, possibly leading to needing to replace the motherboard.

when i say i don't like doing the unplug fixes its because it requires you to do things after your computer is unplugged. which i cant, because it turns off. But i get what you're saying. usually i just unplug rather than actually shut down my computer. I'll try doing that. and the whole charge when off thing.

The computer turns on when the battery is removed if i have the cord in. would the charger still be the problem?? I dont even have another way of testing it if thats the issue. and this comp wasnt even that old before it started giving me crap T^T.

also i have no idea what type of battery i bought or that this could pose a problem. aggh. I'll just keep my fingers crossed once the battery gets here. thanks for the advise though. wish me luck!

If it is having trouble both running the computer and charging the battery then it could still be the problem.

OEM batteries are made for the device and are through the manufacturer. They will have the manufacturers logo and will have the exact same specs as the original battery. Aftermarket ones, well, while they are supposedly made for the device don't always live up to what they say. Cheaper components, putting out incorrect power, etc., can not just lead to a bad battery, but damage your device.

This is why I always suggest an OEM one. Some aftermarket things are fine, those aren't one of them.

Reactions: Ineedanewusername5
May 18, 2019
i got my new battery! it seems to hold a charge??? but my comp cant see how much battery it has left, and when i plug it in is says 100 percent.

Also tried the msi calibration thing. still cant detect the battery.

99 percent sure this isn't an OEM battery but. worse case scenario ill return it.

If it is not OEM that could be why. This old thread may also be of some help. :)

Reactions: Ineedanewusername5
May 18, 2019
Yeah. I'm accepting my fate at this point ^^. I already charged it for a good 3 or 4 hours. It wont turn on unless I have the adapter in and its giving me the angry flashing red light AND it still wont show mybattery level, but IT ISNT IMMEDIATELY DYING SO YAY.

I'm gonna let it sit for the night to run out on it's own. I'll have to eventually Invest in an oem battery ,but for now I think I can manage.

Thanks for your advice!

May 18, 2019
nope. we're back to the same exact problem TwT dies like 5 seconds after being unplugged. and the x is back on the battery symbol. but now that i know i should get an OEM battery , ill try that before i mark my laptop as an official desktop.

thank god for 30 day returns