Solved! MSI GhostPro-002 Graphics problems

gwalschlager

Prominent
Aug 2, 2017
I have a newbie question so apologies up front if any daft questions. :) I have an MSI Ghost Pro 002 gaming laptop that has a GTX970 and an Intel Integrated Graphics running Windows 10 64 bit and 32 GB RAM and I have three 1920 x 1280 monitors attached via a StarTech USB3DOCKH2DP docking station using USB-C port.

I am having graphics repainting issues and stuttering (not even doing any gaming). The screen won't repaint entirely sometimes, but in those cases, if I manually resize a window or minimize/restore a window, it paints properly. I looked at the drivers on the MSI web site and they're pretty old (circa 2015) and I already have the latest.

I'm wondering where my problem lies: the docking station, the MSI laptop or the USB-C connection between computer and docking station. I have external fans cooling laptop so I don't think that's an issue.

I'm a bit confused as to how the docking station and the MSI graphics work. I'm assuming that the MSI graphics are doing all of the grunt work of the graphics and the docking station is only functioning to distribute the graphics signals to the monitors? It appears that there's no way to tell the MSI laptop to ONLY use the GTX970 or I'd try that. The NVidia control panel allows override of graphics card for 3D operations, but I'm not doing any gaming really at this point.

Sorry, I know I've thrown out a lot, just looking for somewhere to start. Thanks in advance!

Solution
As it turns out, unplugging my mouse from my laptop and plugging that into my StarTech docking station seems to have resolved the issue. Not sure what the difference is, but I now cannot reproduce the screen painting issues. Thanks Lutfij...sorry I didn't respond earlier as I was out of town.

Lutfij

Splendid
1| There aren't any silly questions. Even if there are we're always happy to help ;)

2| Can you please pass on the SKU for your laptop? Would also be a good idea to include the make and model of all three monitors.

3| Does the issue show up on your add-on monitor or off both after connecting to the docking station?

4| With respect to your docking station, it's got an additional chip/controller for the display outputs. Which leads me to ask, if you can see within Windows' Device Manager and see if your dock comes up as a device as well as the three 1920x1080p monitors.

5| Would it be possible to pass on a picture of the repainting issue?

gwalschlager

Prominent
Aug 2, 2017

gwalschlager

Prominent
Aug 2, 2017
As it turns out, unplugging my mouse from my laptop and plugging that into my StarTech docking station seems to have resolved the issue. Not sure what the difference is, but I now cannot reproduce the screen painting issues. Thanks Lutfij...sorry I didn't respond earlier as I was out of town.

Solution