MSI GT70 Dominator-895 - will start but no POST

KevinL4u

Estimable
Sep 11, 2015
I was just watching a video yesterday when it suddenly hang up. After waiting for about 5 minutes, I just held the power button for a force shut down. Now it will start for about 3-10 seconds (varies), I can hear the dvd player tick, fan starts up, no display and just shuts down and restarts itself on a loop. I've searched everywhere and found out that this is a common problem on the said model which is caused by a gpu failure but never found any successful fix stories. Also I couldn't find any gpu for this notebook, which most say is the GTX 970m. In the first place, I'm not even sure if it really is a gpu failure. I know computer stuff but this is just beyond me. Anybody ever successfully fixed this?

KevinL4u

Estimable
Sep 11, 2015

Thanks. Gonna save this if ever I do need one

You're welcome. Yeah, ebay seems to be the best place to find these (there were at least a handful). Sort of expensive, but the GT70 is definitely worth fixing. And easy, too. Just keep in mind that the CPU and GPU use the same heatsink/pipes, so you'll have to repaste both if replacement of the GPU ends up being the problem.

P.S. If you're a hardcore gamer, I believe you could even upgrade to the 970m, as they use the same socket. Lower TDP, so should run cooler, and you'd get a MAJOR boost in gaming performance. Not sure if the same heatsink would fit or not, though. Also didn't price them, LOL...

KevinL4u

Estimable
Sep 11, 2015
I have conducted a few tests today and have found interesting results.
GPU in, ram on lower slot: Computer turns on for 3 seconds, restarts itself on a loop
GPU in, ram on upper slot: Computer turns on but no display, doesn't restart at all
GPU out, ram on lower slot: Computer turns on for 3 seconds, restarts itself on a loop
GPU out, ram on upper slot: Computer turns on but no display, doesn't restart at all

Is it possible that ram failure can cause no display (blank screen)? At this point, is it safe to concude that the ram has the problem and I should get one?