MSI laptop won't charge

Status
Not open for further replies.

A_Friend

Prominent
Mar 3, 2017
Hello everyone.

My MSI laptop refuses to charge. I had problems last week when it stopped charging like every 3 seconds or so for one day.

Today, my battery drained and I can't seem to charge it at all. AC charger seems to be working, electricity goes through it, but I can't turn on my laptop and the light, which indicates that computer is charging, is off.

I'd remove the battery, but MSI GE72 have built in batteries.

I have no idea what's wrong. I have this laptop for only a year.
Could it be that the motherboard is done?

A_Friend

Prominent
Mar 3, 2017

Not old. GT72 6QE DOMINATOR PRO G is the full name, it was one of the newer MSI's when I bought it.

No I'm not.

I just found out, that if I reset battery and then try to turn on laptop with my charger plugged in, I'm able to turn it on and laptop is charging. However, as soon as I plug AC charger out and try to plug it in again, it won't work and I have to reset battery again.

SgtScream

Estimable
Dec 8, 2016
What happens if you leave it plugged in for an extended period of time?
Also if your laptop is new, then it still should be under warranty. You should be contacting MSI and open a support case with them for a possible RMA.

A_Friend

Prominent
Mar 3, 2017

I left it plugged in for about 2 hours before I managed to power it on, it still refused to charge. I'll try to leave it plugged in overnight, see if anything changes.

It still is. Looks like I'll have to bring it back to the shop. I really hope that there are no serious problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.