Multiple Display for laptop advice needed.

mjimmie1450

Prominent
Jan 10, 2018
Asus - Republic of Gamers - GL702vs Gaming Notebook

Hello There,
I am in the process of buying two monitors to set up a dual monitor setup for my rig, but I am not sure how to properly connect them to the laptop. I would like to run both monitors through the DisplayPort, instead of using one through HDMI and the other through displayport or thunderbolt.
I have located some adapters online that allow both monitors to be connected through the one Displayport by using a splitter type box that allows for independent displays. My concern is that the hardware in the adapter will not be able to pick up the laptop display.

Will one of these adapters work?

Also any other recommended hardware solutions?

I have also looked at the Docking stations too or whatever they are actually called. Either way, I really would like to stick with the DisplayPort, since it seems to be the best option for higher framerates, especially with multiple monitors. Any help would be greatly appreciated

You need to first make sure the laptop you plan on purchasing will allow for two monitors to be attached through the same port. Just because you can get an adapter or splitter doesn't mean it will work correctly. Many monitors are not set up to accept more than one external display. So that would be my first step. Lots of research on the laptops, and if the info isn't list, I would contact the manufacturer and get it from them. But not over the phone, as that isn't in writing. :) That way if you get the laptop they say works, and it doesn't, you have something from one of them saying it should.

Always check the details.

mjimmie1450

Prominent
Jan 10, 2018
I have the laptop already. It is an Asus GL702VS Specs. 24GB of Ram, 512GB SSD, 1 TB HDD, Nvidia GTX1070 Graphics card with 8 GB of RAM.
It Has 1 HDMI port, 3 USB 3.0 port, Mini display port, and a Thunderbolt port.

I have already used a 32 Flatscreen for a dual display. Now, I am after more permanent and properly suited monitors. The graphics card should have no problem running 2 external displays. The Gtx 1070 can drive 4 displays simultaneously.I am unsure of the best way. I would like to run the to externals with only one connection if possible, to alleviate excessive cabling and smooth interface between all monitors. I game a little, but it will mostly be used for programming. I am a Computer Science Major and normally have multiple tasks running that are difficult to deal with on one 21 inch display.

Solution