MW2's Story Was Bad Says Crysis 2 Writer

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lasaldude

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2009
[citation][nom]Xenophage[/nom]I agree with AMW1011. Whatever happened to games with GREAT storylines? Good writing seems to be relegated to the RPG genre at the moment, but good RPG's are few and far between (Dragon Age, Fallout 3, Oblivion come to mind). I'm nostalgic for the golden age of adventure gaming with titles like The Dig, Bioforge, and... hell... even Space Quest (1 through 4).[/citation]

You are forgetting the best story ever told, which comes from half life 1 and 2.

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
I think some of the best story telling is in Mass Effect 1 and 2. Bioware should be praised for all their efforts. They are and have been what blizzard became famous for, great story tellers with amazing game designers. I do find it funny that people look for stories in games like MW2 and other combat simulators.

asdf634

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
[citation][nom]Burritoclock[/nom]The story may have been shat, but the STORYTELLING is almost without equal. (ME2 being a notable exception)[/citation]

It doesn't matter how good the story telling is when the story is shit, it's still telling a shit story...

G

Crysis 2 better start with showing WTF HAPPENED TO THE ISLAND, TO THEM GOING BACK TO IT, and not just some shit in NY

JD13

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
The worst part about the storyline to me was; that you could not choose your destiny & had to play it out as it was.

Bluescreendeath

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
[citation][nom]SneakySnake[/nom]This guy didn't do the original Crysis. And both MW2, and BFBC2 stories are crap. ...The writers at IW truly have no clue as to the reality of the status and abilities of the armed forces involved. Even at the height of the Soviet Union's power, the Soviet Navy was barely even a threat to the British Navy, nevermind the ginormous supercarrier-wielding US Navy. ...especially their navy, has largely rusted away since '91... ....[/citation]

Good points. Don't forget the highly improbably scenario of Russia starting a war with the US because they found the dead body of a single CIA agent in the terrorist attack.

Russian secret service aren't a bunch of retards, and Russia sure is hell isn't going to start WWIII from the "evidence" of a single dead body - without conclusive proof of who was actually behind the terrorist attack.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]welshmousepk[/nom]he absolutely right. i found the singleplayer to be immensely fun, but the story made no sense. you were just moving from place to place without ever knowing what was actually happening.[/citation]

I'd say the exact same, except I didn't really find the singleplayer missions fun. They weren't badly made, but they're not fun like a max payne mission or thrilling like fear

vic20

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
I really enjoyed the dialog. voice acing and characters in MW2 which is rare in a FPS.

But from a writing and plot perspective I had trouble following along to the point I didn't even bother to try to make sense of it all, so comments such as this coming from a writer doesn't surprise me much.

Having a great story and plot doesn't make a great game on its own either though. So many games have had such bad mechanics, voice acting, boring missions, etc etc that the stories never end up getting told. Those ones get uninstalled lng before that ever happens lol.

yao

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
it feels like developing force was focused on graphics rather than storyline. Actually, a good story is more important to me.

tinmann

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I've only played through the MW2 single player campaign once. I've played through Crysis 3 times using my Nano-suit in different ways. MW2 was fun but if it had more than 10 hours of game play and alternate paths that led to alternate endings it might have been worth a second or third spin.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
i found MW2's story appalling too the fact it won an award sickens me even further. but for that matter i found the first crysis to be mediocre in story not as bad as MW2 but this guy doesn't ahve to much room to talk. truth be told i find that the game industry as a whole has stagnated into mediocricy , only a very select few games in the last 5 years impressed me story wise (mass effect, and dragon age) , and even fewer have just out right impressed me ( mount and blade , and MnB: warband).

this is part of why i'm going to school for game art design ask me the entire industry is slipping and few if any one has much room to talk about this or that developer's lack of vision, story , game play, ect. ect.

when i get out of school i hope to change things but i certianly wont come out the gate pointing fingers , because the whole industry is stagnating and their really aint enough fingers to throw around.

giovanni86

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
The second one didn't leave a mark like the first one did, but it was still pretty impressive. I think they did great job in incorporating Spec Ops into the game, which did bring something New that the old one didn't do obviously not part of the story but still something new to the franchise. It was worth the 60 bucks. Multiplayer was fun for about two months, but after that it was boring. I'm still going to go back and beat it on veteran which i have yet to do. They just didn't put there A effort in, but that doesn't mean I'm going to diss them for it, its mainly Activision's fault not Infinity Wards.

jamie_macdonald

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
They say that like the fir MW had a decent original story lol... For me it was allways a continuation from Medal of Honour (same thing, different skin).

I completely avoided this game ..even got given a copy i have not installed, useless pap imo.

However ... we will least all get to see Crysis2 used regardless of the story, it will probably be a case of benchmarking software hehe.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
If I was expecting a deep story with shooting I'd buy an RPG like ME2 or Fallout 3. These are single player only games with the prime focus on a single player experience.

The Modern Warfare and Battlefield series are multiplayer games with a single player campaign thrown in. Quite frankly I'm impressed by the single player experience in both games, they did a more than adequate job of entertaining me even if the story was weak.

Status
Not open for further replies.