MW3 Deemed Ultra-Violent Based on London Clip

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Ultra violent how?

Soldier Of Fortune 2 shipped in 2002 and due to several mapped hit locations I could hit someone in the head with a knife while big chunks came off, showing blood, bone, brain matter, eyeballs until the head was in about 15 pieces.

Exactly how much more ultra violent can it get?

What they actually mean is emotionally distressing to people who may have experience a similar situation, in which case why are there not relatives of people killed in fairground accidents appealing for a ban on Rollercoaster Tycoon? Or those killed in car accidents appealing to ban Need For Speed?

PudgyChicken

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
The CoD franchise has seriously been milked for all it's worth, now they're just releasing crappy games. In all seriousness, the only good CoD games were 1, 2, and 4. 3, MW2, W@W, and BO are just straight up terrible. And I'm not just talking storyline here, the graphics sucked, the multiplayer sucked, etc. Activision should do what Bungie did when they realized that Halo was dead, and cut their losses and make something new, create some hype around a completely new and ingenuitive game instead of refreshing the same game every year.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
@dimamu15 and all of you: the purpose of the airport shootout mission was to show you how insane terrorists and other power-craving psychos can be, NOT to promote this kind of behaviour... grow up. You don't even have to shoot ONCE in this mission, if you don't feel like - just follow. Now, before you say anything stupid, I'm also Russian and I don't think CoD games offend Russia in any manner. =P

And if you cannot separate a game from real life, go back to kindergarten.

BTW, the game wasn't banned in Russia... they only removed the "No Russian" mission, which confused the plot - now it looked as if Russians attacked for no reason at all.

How I hate these censorship morons... don't like the game, don't buy it. We WANT Modern Warfare, it's an FPS, and there's ought to be violence! Moreover, violence is rather mild in CoD games... go bash a few horror movies instead, if you've got nothing else to do. First they attack GTA for it's unique gameplay (aka street violence), then Mass Effect (romancing party members is totally inappropriate and sexist for them) and now this... Good advertisement for the game, though.

Hmm, I wonder what kind of the world we'd live in if all these banning requests would be fullfilled? If you're offended with something which was NOT meant to offend you (i.e. the game developers didn't keep in mind to mess with you personally) - it's your problem and you need to figure out how to let it go. If you're offended by MW2 portraying Russia as an offensive, barbaric country, you're automatically accepting the fact that they nailed it =)

G

@dimamu15 It contributed to the story in pretty much the most key way ever - it triggered the rest of the game... caused Russia to attack America. I mean, seriously, how did you not spot that?

The game makers also had the decency to opt players out of the scene at no expense to game play. Lets not forget that just because games are interactive it does not make them any more capable than films or broadcasts at causing people to behave inappropriately.

The people who want these things banned show massive ignorance towards the gamers who play these games, branding them as gullible and suggestible: "games like these invoke terrorism and violence". Sorry, but if a game is going to cause you to do anything like this, I challenge a professional to prove it was actually the game bending the person's mind, or the fact that persons mind was warped to begin with.

I have sympathy for people who were emotionally involved in events that are re-portrayed, either in film or in games, but it is a fact that it will continue to happen. They are not the first people to be attached to events that are replayed, and they won't be the last. No one is forcing them to partake.

growup

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2011
I understand the Russian and the article. It's true, people that say you're a whiner and what-not, they see it as ok, but if Call of Duty recreates the Sept 11 attacks, thats not ok?

AGPC

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
Well we need to ban it here becasue of the fighting in new york it might offend someone becasue its like 9/11.
Dopes

swamprat

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
The Daily Mail fanning the flames? That sounds far fetched, I blame the immigrants...

The poor taste side could only really come in if you're 'making' (in the context of the game) people do things that could increase sympathy for the various bits of murdering scum that tend to think it's good to kill people. That could take the form of playing the part of the terrorists (e.g. giving some moralistic gumph about how horridly wronged your people have been and then various missions to rectify this where you're led into increasingly targeting civilians - to the point where targeting civilians seems ok where there's a 'greater cause' or a past grievance to somehow right) or with similar things on the side of the soldiers (in that people playing them may feel that the soldiers are killing innocents and feel more aggrieved about real conflicts).

I must say, it reflects well that if there are soldiers etc running around the buses would still run. I imagine Bob Crow would have the tubes on strike in an instant.
Speaking of which, how would a tube train explode? I can imagine the truck might (given getting crushed combined with high voltage lines), but the actual train?

Remember remember the 9th of November, oh wait, we're meant to use the US date format for that one aren't we.

jevon

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004
Please don't ban it, Uk.... if you do, then all the kiddies will switch to BF3 and we do not want them ruining our BF3 experience!

valpanig

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
[citation][nom]sacre[/nom]Whine whine whine whine whine. If you don't want to see that "horrifying" shit than don't buy and play the game. To not allow thousands the fun of the game simply because a few families are pissy is wrong. Let them sulk in their own corner, let the other thousands do what they wish.[/citation]

Do what they wish ? Are you kidding, since when we live in a land of the free ?

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Marthian[/nom]lies. tell that the the vast majority of the 12 year old audience on xbox live...[/citation]
That is an issue of bad parenting, not bad game developers.

If you pay via your credit card for your 12 year old kid to play a game that involves 18 content you are just trailer trash.

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
They should ship a special version for UK ... where the environment is changed to walt disney world, the characters changed to cartoon and the weapons changed to magic wands. Same to Russia if they want to.

G

You don't see people wanting all the world war games banned. Idiots..

squidz66

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
One thing that I've noticed, is that violent crime is far more prevalent now, than it was 20 years ago. Used to be you got into a bit of strife, and you'd get punched. Now's you're getting a knife in your kidney and a glass into your eye, before someone stomps your unconscious head into the pavement! A shift in society toward a 'I'll beat you at any cost' mentality, has replaced our inherent code of morals.
All media is encouraging these vainglory pursuits. And surely there has to be a boundary.

Status
Not open for further replies.