My bad ass machine is not able to play 4k / 1080p in the Premiere Pro CC timeline

edvardw

Estimable
Dec 10, 2015
Hi,

I thought my machine was a bad ass computer that should be able to play and edit 4k in PP CC. I have been searching the Web for answers and tweaks to make my machine work with my video files from Panasonic GH4.

Recently registered my problem on Adobe forums but not much help was provided. You can see the details here regaring my issues:

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2032832

I'm relly surprised that my machine is not able to even run my files even though I change the sequence to 1920x1080 in the timeline

Could there be something wrong with my HW/drivers/bios settings?

Completely new to video editing in general, so maybe I'm missing something here.

/E

COLGeek

Cybernaut
From the link provided:

Computer:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0 Ghz

Motherboard: Asus Z97-PRO GAMER - Haswell Refresh

Memory: Corsair Ballistix Sport 3x 8 GB 1600 Mhz, making a total of 24 GB.

Disk 1: Intel 535 240 GB used for OS and SW

Disk 2: Seagate Barracuda 7200 rpm with 2 TB of storage used for data (photos, videos, etc)

GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 770 SC ACX HDMI DP 2 GB

SW:

Windows 8.1 Enterprise

Premiere Pro CC downloaded from Adobe Cloud Service.

Camera:

Panasonic Lumix GH4

Problem description:

I'm pretty sure my HW and SW is capable of handling the 4k files from my GH4. The recording are done in MP4, using Cinema 4k at 4096x2160 with 24fps. Profile used i CineLike D. There is no problem loading the files to Premiere, they show up correctly in the Media Brower. Then I make sure to drag the file to the "New item" icon to load it on the timeline with the proper settings selected by Premiere. The video then shows up on the Program window. So far so good.

When I starty playing the content without any editing at all, the video and audio are running "too fast" or "too slow"with of stuttering.I have tried to change from "Full" to 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, and 1/16. Same results. After looking into the knowledge database I found the suggestion of making Sequence - > Render In to Out to get the file from yellow to green in the timeline. No change in behaviour at playback.

After several hours with Google I found the suggestion to changel th scaling to 1920x1080 in the timeline. Which I tried. No change in behaviour.

Also tried to take the files, run them through Handbrake to make it a MPG-2 file with 1920x1080 at 24fps. No change in behaviour.

To rule out any issues with my HW, I played my files through the VLC media player, Windows Media player and Windown Movie Maker. All those programs had not problem to show and play the content smoothly. Tried to restart the computer several times to rule out any problems. Same behavoiur.

So I'm guessing there must be a setting in Premiere that is causing this.

edvardw

Estimable
Dec 10, 2015
Hi,

Finally got this problem solved a few day ago. It turned out to be my external sound-card that somehow was interferring my PP. After disconnecting it PP was working smoothly as it should.