My charger port is not working.

SCBebop

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013
Hi I currently own a Toshiba Satellite L755-S5350 and it does not charge anymore.

I'm certain that it's not the charger or the battery itself because I tested that out myself. The DC jack is pretty messed up and I'm pretty sure it needs to be replaced.

The question is is the DC jack worth getting fixed? I called some computer repair guys and they stated that it would cost around $25-$100 depending on whether the dc jack is intergrated with the motherboard.

If it helps. I broke the port while it dropped down on my bed with the charger plugged in and it fell on the side with the DC jack so it pushed the jack in pretty hard and basically made it loose. I can still see the the pin of the jack and it's pushed in pretty far. I was able to still let it charge then with some pressure and tinkering of the charger plug itself but now I can't get it to charge unless I put in an immense amount of pressure.

I do not know if is integrated with the motherboard or can be detached.

That sounds like typical pricing. What they want to know is whether it's connected via a cable, has it's own power board (separate from the main board), or if it's part of the motherboard. The third scenario is the least ideal, as that will yield the highest markup; the other two can entail a pretty easy replacement with no need of soldering.

The only way you will be able to know what type of jack it is is by either examining it yourself, or looking for a tear down guide or video to get a good look at it.

SCBebop

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013

Thank you so much. This is what I needed. Should I just do it myself and ask a friend of mine to help me put this in?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-DC-POWER-JACK-CABLE-HARNESS-for-TOSHIBA-L755-S5242GR-L755D-S5251-L755-S5353-/281096895421?pt=Laptop_Adapters_Chargers&hash=item4172ae3bbd

I just bought the jack above and it should be coming in a few days. Should i just do it myself or hire someone else to do it?

It's an easy job, but if you don't feel comfortable enough doing it yourself, it might be worth the premium to have someone you know and trust do it for you (someone that knows what they're doing, that is). As long as you don't take it to a big box retailer, the cost on DC jack repair and testing should be reasonable, especially now since you only need the labor.