My computer "forgets" it's connected to my TV as a monitor

SkyCaptainNow

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012
I have a Polaroid HDTV and I recently got a new computer (Dell Inspiron) and I can't seem to keep them connected. I've used the TV frequently in the past to connect to my laptop via HDMI without trouble. My new computer has an HDMI port so I figured I'd just use my TV as a monitor and save a few bucks. I was never able to connect them via HDMI as "NOT SUPPORT" kept flashing across the TV so I switched to a VGA connection and voila, it worked. I turned it on and set up everything. And now it doesn't.
I've tried restarting the computer a few times. It will display the startup screen on the TV, then switch to the TV's default "no signal" screen. It decides to no longer be connected and nothing I do seems to convince it otherwise. Any thoughts?

jcoultas98

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
Some television sets explicitly don't allow use as a PC monitor via HDMI. You can attempt to force your video card to output 720p/60HZ, 1080i/60, or 1080p/60 depending on the television's resolution capablities. This can trick the monitor into thinking it has a standard video device via HDMI. VGA is normally restricted to a specific resolution. Check your television set's manual, it will tell you the resolution VGA supports, then simply match that output from your screen resolution control panel.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Streaming Video & TVs 1
J Streaming Video & TVs 3
T Streaming Video & TVs 1
S Streaming Video & TVs 1
R Streaming Video & TVs 1
K Streaming Video & TVs 1
F Streaming Video & TVs 3
F Streaming Video & TVs 1
S Streaming Video & TVs 2
D Streaming Video & TVs 3
I Streaming Video & TVs 1